1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about sound quality

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by user4567, May 9, 2015.
  1. User4567
    Hey guys,

I want to ask you a few questions. How much does your sound card affect the quality of the music you're listening to? And how do I get the best sounding music?

I listen to music via Youtube and downloaded files (Spotify and MP3 Music Downloader) but I was wondering if I would get better quality if I listened to bought music. Also, does the quality you put a Youtube video on affect the sound quality?

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    If your looking to upgrade the audio hardware on your computer, it would be helpful if you listed a budget.
    A lot of people can not hear a noticeable difference between 320k and FLAC music files.

3. RRod

For most common cards, the main effect is in how well they can drive your headphones; what kind are you using?

High-rate mp3 and aac should sound just fine. I turn my whole CD collection into aac for my DAP, and I never notice anything bothersome. Youtube quality setting does affect sound, which will be typically aac or vorbis.

4. User4567

No, I just wanted to know if it does make a huge difference.

5. Ari33

How much of a difference is all relative, a lot depends on the whole chain and the weakest link in it.... what soundcard or onboard sound you already have, how you listen, ie; headphones or speakers and what spec/quality they are inc any amp in the chain... before you'd even think about trying to hear the difference in SQ beween 320k and FLAC.
    I have half decent Imo headphones (Pioneer Sae1000), a very good souncard, average but perfectly fine amp & speakers. The Soundcard (opa627 modded Xonar ST) allows my headphones to shine to their potential and the amp/speakers combo does sound great but only with a little of the Xonar centres DSP dialled in. A big difference over onboard? Yep, for me, defo..

6. jarrett
    re: YouTube

Yes, but you must set the playback quality to 720p for the audio quality to improve

7. User4567

My soundcard is a crappy onboard realtek soundcard. I hear a small difference between 320k and FLAC.

8. cel4145

You should try this test to make sure that the difference you think is there is actually there: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test. A lot of people find out that they can't actually hear a difference when they test properly and don't know which is which.