Questions about NW-HD5
Jun 25, 2005 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

toby_jones

New Head-Fier
Does the supplied software work with Windows Me (I've heard conflicting opinions)?
If not, is it possible to use the player like a removable drive and just drop MP3s on to it, avoiding the supplied software altogether?
How does it compare with the NW-HD3 (as I actually prefer the look of the NW-HD3)?
Would people recommend the NW-HD5 over other portable/digital/MP3 music players (it will be my first and looks to be the best currently available)?
Does the whole cracking thing only affect silver players?
Can it play files without gaps between them, i.e. from a DJ mix album?

Thanks. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 6
If not, is it possible to use the player like a removable drive and just drop MP3s on to it, avoiding the supplied software altogether?
Unfortunately, no. There is a thing called "Sony MusicMove" which I do not have a link for, unfortunately...I think Sony's support site has it. That way you can just have that program load the songs and avoid sonicstage (which I like...)

Quote:

How does it compare with the NW-HD3 (as I actually prefer the look of the NW-HD3)?

I have the HD3 and like it a lot, aside from the horizotal-ability of the HD5 and its removable battery, the HD3 is better in my opinion because it has a line-out option and niftier styling (I have a red one).

Quote:

No, unfortunately. Black and Red units are also affected.

Sorry, but that's all that I can say aside from the fact that I love my HD3 a lot!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 6
D-EJ915 said:
Quote:

I have the HD3 and like it a lot, aside from the horizotal-ability of the HD5 and its removable battery, the HD3 is better in my opinion because it has a line-out option and niftier styling (I have a red one).

Actually, the hd5 does have a line out. only thing is- it uses the same jack as the headphones. you have to set the player to line out mode.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 6
sohc said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915

Actually, the hd5 does have a line out. only thing is- it uses the same jack as the headphones. you have to set the player to line out mode.

What?!

Oh yeah, I was thinking of the new Hi-MD units...nevermind
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by toby_jones
Does the supplied software work with Windows Me (I've heard conflicting opinions)?

i've no idea as i'm on windows xp. sorry.

Quote:

it can only be used as a removable hardisk to store files. you would have to use SonicStage to transfer music tracks so that they can be played.

Quote:

i used to have the hd3 and now has the hd5. the big difference is that the charging and usb ports are built into the hd5. the hd3 uses a dock, which i find to be very troublesome as i often use my mp3 player as a portable hardisk. also, if if i do not remember wrongly, the hd3 does not have the firmware upgrade option, and the hd5 has that option. so, hd3 might not be user-firmware upgradeable unless you bring it to a service center. also, hd3 does not have a search function, whereas hd5 has. hd5 has 5 on-the-fly playlists for you to fill and hd3 only has 1 (using bookmarks).

Quote:

Would people recommend the NW-HD5 over other portable/digital/MP3 music players (it will be my first and looks to be the best currently available)?

the cracking thing affects every unit, regardles of color. i have the red one and it has the cracks too. but i believe you can't see it on the black unit as the buttons are black. on the silve and red units, the buttons are silver, so you can see them. if you can live with the cracks (appears more to be hairline scratches to me), it is a good mp3 player with an extraordinary battery life. it depends on your needs really.

Quote:

Can it play files without gaps between them, i.e. from a DJ mix album?

if you encode from the original source (i.e. CD) into atrac, they will be gapless. in mp3, there is a tiny gap.
[/QUOTE]

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the replies. I'm still slightly worried about the whole Windows Me issue. On Sony's website they say it should work with Windows 98 upwards so I should be OK. It's just that I found other threads via Google saying people had been having problems. I know the iPod's software will only work with XP so I didn't want to get stuck with a player I can't use. Should be only a few months before I get a new PC with XP on it anyway, but I want my MP3 player now!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back