Questions about IEMs and Earphones.
Nov 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chris2

New Head-Fier
First off, what's the difference between the two? Is it just in name? Secondly, I have a set of musician's earplugs, as my ears are rather sensitive to noise at concerts, plays, etc. The plugs are custom-fit by an audiologist, and are perfectly sealed. The filters are also removable for cleaning. Is there a set of earphones or IEMs or whatever they are where I could take the head off and be left with a little speaker that I could put into my musician's plugs, essentially giving me perfectly sealed and comfortable earphones? It seems that a lot of the sets I've seen would do the job, but I don't know if they would fit in the hole, or if they're any good. As such, what's a good entry-level set of Ear Canal phones/IEMs/whatever they are for playing just about any kind of music proficiently?

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 6

TacticalPenguin

100+ Head-Fier
1. How much does entry-level cost in your eyes?
2. I doubt you could get one specifically fit to your plug but you can get custom molded IEMs which basically are your custom plugs but make music.
3. Earphones includes any phone that isn't a big over-ear headphone (ear buds, canal phones, IEMs) or clip on etc, while IEMs are in ear monitors, a higher-quality sound-isolating phone which goes into your ear. They will generally go in very deep, like Etymotics or the Jays Q-jays. Etymotic Er 6i's practically disappear inside your ears and it looks like nothing but a cable going into your ear when viewed from the front. Same goes for the q-jays. Shure and Westone phones would also be considered IEMs although the body holding the drivers sits outside your ear canal in the little pocket of space in your ear, with a tip extending into the canal.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 6

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
If you want to know a bit more about IEM in general, there is a IEM guide in my signature.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 6

IZCool

100+ Head-Fier
Also came across this on the ACS website - they're not the ER6, so I guess they're a bit of an unknown quantity, but you could be the first to try them and give us a review
smily_headphones1.gif

T15™ Modular Monitors

Users who are viewing this thread