Questions about HD650
Jun 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even without proper amplification, HD650 sound great, and they are very great for gaming as well.

Now there is some good advice.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even without proper amplification, HD650 sound great, and they are very great for gaming as well.

I don't know about the gaming part, but I disagree emphatically with the rest. Why would anyone get an audiophile headphone, known by those who love it to be difficult to drive, even with some decent amps, and cripple it's sound quality by not amping it at all? Sure, if you're building a rig in stages, and want to get the headphones first, then go for it, but if you don't plan on getting a desktop amp for the 650s later on, I'd start looking at some of the headphones around that are easy to drive and sound great.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the gaming part, but I disagree emphatically with the rest. Why would anyone get an audiophile headphone, known by those who love it to be difficult to drive, even with some decent amps, and cripple it's sound quality by not amping it at all? Sure, if you're building a rig in stages, and want to get the headphones first, then go for it, but if you don't plan on getting a desktop amp for the 650s later on, I'd start looking at some of the headphones around that are easy to drive and sound great.

x2

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #20 of 22
Amplification indeed helps sound quality, but not that much in reality.

Come on, when I put my Bose Triport AE into my beta22, my Bose do not magically sound much better. While there is slight improvement, the performance is always underwhelming.

Likewise, HD650 indeed suffer sound quality loss if I put them into my portable player Cowon S9, but it does not undermine core performance of HD650.

Many of cheap portable amp with power adaptor, while they don't really improve the sound that much, will give enough volume for OP and it will be enough.

PS : IRCC, OP's sound card's headphone output is quite strong, he may not even need such cheap amp.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #21 of 22
hi there i kinda disagree HD650 sound ok or normal without amplification but i think they need real good amps to drive them. I tried on my petite govibe - the result was like normal headphones. but once plug into my compass they come alive. my that is my opinion only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back