Questions about cables for computer Hi-Fi system
May 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Username15

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm pretty new here, and please move this thread if it is in the wrong place.

Right now I have a computer hi-fi system consisting of Audioengine A5+'s with a D1 from the same company. I am considering buying aftermarket Audioquest or WireWorld cables to improve the sound of this system. Do you guys have any suggestions on which brand is better or any other cables to try? Please post a reply about which and why, and don't recommend something without listening to ti first.

Thanks a lot.

May 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 38
Hello, I to am a new member and I have just finished building a music/music dvd computer based around an ASUS/AMD APU motherboard with passive cooling. The ripped CDs using dbpoweramp are stored on an external icybox unit housing 2 western digital HDDs using Wireworld ultraviolet USB to connect back to the computer and another Wireworld ultraviolet cable to connect to my HRT Streamer 11+ DAC. I find these cables have more punch than my previous cables I used on my previous set up which were Russ Andrews USB cables, as these I found were quite laid back in the sound department. Unfortunatelly I cannot comment on the Audioquest cables. My music consists mainly  heavy rock/metal/blues. I use DNM solid core phono plugs to my Musical Fidelity headphone amp. I hope that I have been helpful in some way. CHEERS.

May 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 38
I strongly doubt those cables are going to improve the sound of your system, and even if they do is going to be rather marginal. your best course of action at the moment, imo, would be to save up until you can afford a better source (DAC); something in the region of the Asus Xonar Essence One with a separate power supply, for example. if you can hear an improvement, then you may look for better cables. if you don't hear an improvement, then you should look into better speakers. also, positioning the speakers according to room size would improve sound.

May 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 38
Hi guys, have an update for this post.
I have my sights set on USB and RCA cables from WireWorld, and power cables from Audioquest, but I am still undecided about buying speaker cables from WireWorld or Audioquest. Can you help me out on this one? And by the way, please don't post an opinion not based on your own experience, because I have seen a lot of those on other forums, and the results are not very good. Links to expert reviews are also appreciated.
Thanks a lot! :)

May 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 38
For Audioquest, the value leader is Type 4, terminated by Audio Advisor (the 'no-frills' version). A 3 ft. single cable, bananas to bananas, goes for $34.50. The price for spades is probably the same. This is an 11 AWG overall cable with solid copper conductors in a star quad geometry.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/greg15.htm

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4NF%20%20%20%2030PSPSP

May 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 38
From the setup manual, it looks like the A5+ uses five way binding posts. You should be able to use spades or bananas just fine. You'll only need a single cable.

May 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 38
Um, yage, actually what I meant by "are the cables compatible" is that what cable (Audioquest or WireWorld)  sounds better with the A5+'s. I know that they will fit into 5 way binding posts, and I put that in consideration before selecting between the two brands. Thanks for your reply, though.

May 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:
Um, yage, actually what I meant by "are the cables compatible" is that is their impedance too much that the speakers can't handle it, etc. Thanks for your reply, though.

Impedance of what?

EDIT: Sorry, hit the submit button too quickly. 14-16 AWG wire should handle the power output of the A5+ just fine. (Note that as AWG numbers decrease, the size of the conductors increase.)

May 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 38
I don't think that better speaker cables are going to make a significant difference for you. I think you gotta step up from the A5s a good bit before it will make any worthwhile difference.

Nevertheless, if you want some other speaker wire to consider, I just got some Knukonceptz Karma SS. I don't know if it will improve the sound any per their claims (I'm using it to connect my 800 watt sub amp to two 18" passive subs), but it looks cooler than typical 12 gauge copper wire :D

I use these banana plugs: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EGIE2S/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 23, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 38
How will the upgraded speaker cables help the A5+? Assuming speaker cables will do a lot to improve sound, the A5+ is an active speaker system where one speaker has the amplifier - the "master" - and the other is a passive speaker - the "slave." IF speaker cables do a lot to change the sound, then it will only change the sound on the slave speaker. Unless, of course, you open up the master speaker and install the same speaker cable there as well. If you don't notice an imbalance with the sound now, then that means there is no transmission loss from the amp on the Master to the Slave speaker using whatever speaker cable you are using (presumably packaged with the speakers).

I'd say go ahead and try other RCA cables to hook up the D1 to the A5+, especially if you're using what came with them free. I'd leave the other cables alone and spend the money on other components, like a proper platform for the A5+ : http://audioengineusa.com/DS2-Desktop-Stand-Pair

If you don't need to angle the speakers (ie, if they're on an elevated platform that puts the speakers at eye/ear-level) you can just get some other items that may help manage unwanted vibrations, like isolation cones : http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Speaker-Spikes-4-Pack/dp/B0080JCMS6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369302169&sr=1-2

May 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 38
How will the upgraded speaker cables help the A5+? Assuming speaker cables will do a lot to improve sound, the A5+ is an active speaker system where one speaker has the amplifier - the "master" - and the other is a passive speaker - the "slave." IF speaker cables do a lot to change the sound, then it will only change the sound on the slave speaker. Unless, of course, you open up the master speaker and install the same speaker cable there as well. If you don't notice an imbalance with the sound now, then that means there is no transmission loss from the amp on the Master to the Slave speaker using whatever speaker cable you are using (presumably packaged with the speakers).

I'd say go ahead and try other RCA cables to hook up the D1 to the A5+, especially if you're using what came with them free. I'd leave the other cables alone and spend the money on other components, like a proper platform for the A5+ : http://audioengineusa.com/DS2-Desktop-Stand-Pair

If you don't need to angle the speakers (ie, if they're on an elevated platform that puts the speakers at eye/ear-level) you can just get some other items that may help manage unwanted vibrations, like isolation cones : http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Speaker-Spikes-4-Pack/dp/B0080JCMS6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369302169&sr=1-2
ir

I didn't even think about the fact the A5+s are powered speakers. Worrying about speaker wire doesn't make any sense.

The Auralex MOPADs are a good option, too, as they both provide some isolation and angle the speakers up.

May 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:
I didn't even think about the fact the A5+s are powered speakers. Worrying about speaker wire doesn't make any sense.

The Auralex MOPADs are a good option, too, as they both provide some isolation and angle the speakers up.

Plus we have to stress that, with speakers more than headphones, set-up and listening environment is a lot more crucial. The speakers' position relative to the listener can have a large impact, even on nearfield monitors. With headphones, roughly the equivalent would be the earpads (material, wear) and ear plugs that affect the fit, and to a lesser extend, the construction (ie, some have the drivers angled, either on the chassis or through asymmetrical earpads, to simulate speaker toe-in).

May 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 38
Definitely. Placement is so important. A lot of people just stick desktop speakers on the desk without any consideration of that. It's amazing to me how many setups in the computer rig picture thread don't even have the speakers toed in toward the listening position. And then there are many where the tweeters are not aimed at ear height for the listening position, unless we got a lot of people on head-fi with their ears just above their belly buttons :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back