Questions about Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 Ohms variant
May 21, 2015 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
Today I had the pleasure of test driving a 770/80 at a Guitar Center, using my iPhone 6. The sound was spectacular, but I had to crank the iPhone volume to the limit to hear it well (the room was very noise, but these cans are supposed to be great at sound isolation, no?). I know that with my IEMs I could never raise the iPhone volume anywhere close to the limit.

BD makes a 32-Ohm variant that should be better, but I've been scouring reviews and haven't found a consensus on how well it works straight out of a phone or laptop without an amp. Some say it's still not loud enough; others say it is but that one needs to mess with the EQ using an App, and that ultimately it really should be amped anyway.

I really don't want to have to by an amp (one day, maybe), nor do I want to feel obliged to tinker with EQ.  Most of the time at work I'll plug into my MacBook, but I want to be able to plug it directly into the phone.

Could any 770/32 users out there comment?

May 22, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 7
  Today I had the pleasure of test driving a 770/80 at a Guitar Center, using my iPhone 6. The sound was spectacular, but I had to crank the iPhone volume to the limit to hear it well (the room was very noise, but these cans are supposed to be great at sound isolation, no?). I know that with my IEMs I could never raise the iPhone volume anywhere close to the limit.
BD makes a 32-Ohm variant that should be better, but I've been scouring reviews and haven't found a consensus on how well it works straight out of a phone or laptop without an amp. Some say it's still not loud enough; others say it is but that one needs to mess with the EQ using an App, and that ultimately it really should be amped anyway.
I really don't want to have to by an amp (one day, maybe), nor do I want to feel obliged to tinker with EQ.  Most of the time at work I'll plug into my MacBook, but I want to be able to plug it directly into the phone.
Could any 770/32 users out there comment?

I own 7 Beyer headphones, two are 600-Ohm, four are 250-ohm and one 80-Ohm, never owned any Beyer 32-Ohm version.
Anyway the 32-Ohm version should work decently plugged straight into an iPhone.
But I would say to pass on the DT770s and check out the Soundmagic HP150, never listened to the HP150 myself, but they seems to do well.
I think it's better use any DT770/DT880/DT990 model headphone with a decent headphone amplifier.

May 22, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Why are you down on the 770s? Hp 150s have strong reviews; it's not evident to me that they are better or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 7
For both the 770/32 and the Soundmagic there are some reviews that say "works fine w/o an amp" and some that say, "definitely needs an amp." Good grief. Are there any phones of this calibre that all acknowledge are fine w/o an amp? Is that the Momentum?

Also: let's say I sprung for an amp...would a sub-$100 dac/amp like the Fiios amps lots of people here use really make a difference? Is it the amping or the dac that makes the difference? I find it hard to imagine that a cheap DAC like what one would find on a lower-end system would be an improvement over whatever it is Apple puts in its iPhone...

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the 770/80s w/o an amp, except for the volume. I suppose I should deduce from that that I'd be plenty happy with the 770/32.

May 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Odd. I have a terrible phone - the budget Lumia 520. My dt770 80 gets plenty loud at < 2/3 of the volume control. I would imagine that the IP6 is at least as loud as my phone.

What Beyer don't seem to advertise other than on the box is that obviously the 32ohm is the version meant for portable players. They rate it 3*. The 80ohm gets 2* I think with portables by their own rating. I am quite happy with it though. Might just be your test conditions?

Yes, the isolation is good.

May 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Odd. I have a terrible phone - the budget Lumia 520. My dt770 80 gets plenty loud at < 2/3 of the volume control. I would imagine that the IP6 is at least as loud as my phone.

What Beyer don't seem to advertise other than on the box is that obviously the 32ohm is the version meant for portable players. They rate it 3*. The 80ohm gets 2* I think with portables by their own rating. I am quite happy with it though. Might just be your test conditions?

Yes, the isolation is good.

I noticed those little stars as well. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Beyers...researching headphones on this sight is like diving into quicksand. Someone's always giving me a compelling argument for why, when comparing two headphones, it's a third I should go for...they're not wrong, but I reckon that rather than waste time digging more deeply into the quicksand, what I need to do is just buy something that I feel pretty sure I'll enjoy...and if I decide later that I don't like it so much, at least then I'll have something to compare. I'll be able to describe here what I don't like about the phones...and then I'll get much closer to getting better. Or, maybe I'll decide that I love the Beyers and that will be the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back