Questions about AKG K271 Studio
Jun 12, 2004 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

king896

100+ Head-Fier
Today I went to my local Sam ash and noticed that they sold AKG K271 Studio
for around 170$ and I was wondering if they are a good phone for home everyday use. There are a couple of things I need in a phone, like strong midrange with an articulate but not overshadowing bass, and highs that do not have silibice. I am coming from listing to my shure E5's for the past 11 months and I think it is time to try a real home phone. I can also use any recommendation for an under 200$ amp for it using my nomad jukebox 3's lineout. I listen to progressive rock, classical, death metal, and jazz and I would like to see your opinions on how they perform with those genres. As a side note, if anyone knows how well they work with a Rio karma unamped chime in! Thanks for the help.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 8
I think it has the sonic signature you're looking for (at least on three of your genres; I have no idea how it sounds on death metal). But it's a very, very nice, closed, all-around headphone.

I find it relatively blah unamped, however. I'm still trying to find the best lower-cost amp for it myself, so I can't make a solid recommendation there. (I can tell you that with a battery-and-8620-based PIMETA it has good highs and good all-around tone, but not a lot of oomph. Maybe a nonbattery amp or a different op-amp would improve it and still stay under $200, but I don't know.)

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Read my closed can review, which is linked from my profile. It compares the Sennheiser 280, AKG 271, and CD3K.

I don't know if i'd recommend the 271s. The have good bass and mids, but their highs let them down. Remember though that i'm comparing them with the CD3000, which is a $400 headphone. If I was buying $200 closed cans i'd probably try something else, the A900 or the Beyer 250-80, both of which work well without an amp, i'm told.

I have a Pimeta, it's pretty good, and almost as good as a $350 PPA (to my ears). A pimeta is probably in the region of $200, I can't really remember. IMHO at the lower end amps are over-rated, you'd be better off investing in a good source and and average amp than the other way around.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I should add that the 271s aren't bad at all. They have good bass impact and good mids, and their highs aren't too bad, just slightly veiled compared to higher end cans. Running from my DAC/PPA it sounds quite nice, and most people would probably say "wow!". They're quite versatile too, they can run off a PC sound card ok, but they do need an amp to drive them to their best. For the price ($135 in some places, look on froogle.com) they're pretty damned good.

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd agree with Commando re) the value represented by the AKG K271S. Actually, I prefer them to the Sony CD-3000, but then again I've been a fan of the AKG house sound (sweet mids, somewhat less pronounced high end) for going on 20 years.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm rather picky so I'd say they are a nice mid-priced can. They're a pretty good value and for what you're paying they have excellent all around performance but they aren't high-end even when amped. I've tried them with all the genres you mention and they perform very well. To really get them to perform their best I would use an amp, though they're not terrible without one, it really improves their detail though.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 8
They seem to perform particularly well with tubes, btw...seems to improve their sonics more than other headphones. Don't know why...just that it does.

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Well from the information I see gathered here, and from the review I read from commando, it seems like these phones would work. I am looking for a very strong midrange with slightly recessed high's and these seem to have them. I am not sure if there are any other headphone and amp combination that I can get for under 400$ to satisfy me, so if there are any recommendations keep them coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back