Question to owners of AKG 701 and Darkvoice 332
Feb 17, 2008 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
I have a question regarding the synergy between AKG 701 and Darkvoice 332. I'd like to know how well this couple sing together.

We all know DV332 was designed with HD650 in mind, so it shines when used with 650 (which I now own). I don't know if it matches well with AKG 701.

I ask because sound signature of the two are different. 650 is a dark, bass heavy and veiled headphone, whilst 701 is a bright (may not be so bright, but brighter than 650 for sure), and bass-shy headphone. That DV332 can brighten the 650 worries me that it may make 701 way, way too bright.

I saw many people use this amp with AKG 701, so to be sure before I spend considerable amount of money on the new headphone, I think I'd better ask you guys.

Please also consider if my current tubes and interconnect can go well with 701.

Now I'm using a pair of Ulyanovsk 6S19P's, and Western Electric 403B's, together with some silver cable to brighten the sound of my senn650. About the cable, it's a local brand, so even if I say the name, you guys may not know it. It's only 110$ a pair, but can beat other brand name cables that are 2 times more expensive easily in term of clarity and details.

All in all, my system seems to be on the bright side (to compensate the dark signature of my current headphone). I wonder how bright it would be when paired with AKG 701.
confused.gif

EDIT:
I tried this amp with some headphones at the shop where I bought the amp, and it sounded very good with Ergo Model 2 and Grado Ms-1, but failed miserably with Ms2-i. Too bad AKG 701 wasn't in stock for me to try at that time.
EDIT

Thanks

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 15
I think it depends on what kind of music you listen too.
I own a DV332 (with Ulyanovsk 6S19P and Mullard M8100 tubes) and the K701 and I like this combination very much. It's nice for most of the music I listen to.
k701smile9garx2.gif

However I heard a friend's modded HD580 (650 cable, defoamed etc.) and the sound was great (much darker though and for different music).
The K701 is brighter than the Sennheisers but I wouldn't call it bass shy, especially with this amp it has a good and tight bass but you won't enjoy it if you're a basshead because the K701 doesn't give more bass than there is in the recording.
The sound is very accurate and clear but with this amp I don't think it's too analytical.

I think with this amp, HD650 and K701 you will have a nice combination for any kind of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 15
How does the DV332 sound stock? Is it bright or what? I have the 336i with some RCA tubes and it sounds what i call laidback very pleasent sound can listen hours without my ears hurt. But sometimes it sounds boring, so i need amp that can compromise that. Then there's the Little Dot MK series, i don't know how synergies with AKG or senns

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the DV332 sound stock? Is it bright or what? I have the 336i with some RCA tubes and it sounds what i call laidback very pleasent sound can listen hours without my ears hurt. But sometimes it sounds boring, so i need amp that can compromise that. Then there's the Little Dot MK series, i don't know how synergies with AKG or senns

Stock?
You mean those chinese tubes?

I don't know if the tubes came with my unit were defective or anything, but I think the amp sounds not so good with them.

It's like What!! when I first connected my headphones to the amp. The sound was very unpleasant and dull. But everything is changed when I plugged in my newly purchased russian 6S19P's and WE403B's. Man! it's like listening to a new amp.

As I said I don't know if there was anything wrong with my stock tubes that makes the difference this huge, but this is what I encountered.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends on what kind of music you listen too.
I own a DV332 (with Ulyanovsk 6S19P and Mullard M8100 tubes) and the K701 and I like this combination very much. It's nice for most of the music I listen to.
k701smile9garx2.gif

However I heard a friend's modded HD580 (650 cable, defoamed etc.) and the sound was great (much darker though and for different music).
The K701 is brighter than the Sennheisers but I wouldn't call it bass shy, especially with this amp it has a good and tight bass but you won't enjoy it if you're a basshead because the K701 doesn't give more bass than there is in the recording.
The sound is very accurate and clear but with this amp I don't think it's too analytical.

I think with this amp, HD650 and K701 you will have a nice combination for any kind of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your input.
Don't worry, I'm not a bass head at all
biggrin.gif

The reason why I consider 701 is that I want to find something "different" from my current cans. Actually, I did audition them both (with Lisa3 and Hornet) before I decided to pick 650 (as I prefer its smoothness and attck). However, 2 or so months after that purchase (I bought 650 first and then DV332 in the following month), I found that I'm still craving for AKG's sound and I think it's great to have the best of both world
wink.gif

One thing I worry is (like I said before) this couple may be too bright for my taste.

Kataklystik, let me ask you a bit more
biggrin.gif
Could you tell me which tubes combination you currently use with 701?

Ahh man... If I know someone in my area having 701, thing would be much more easier, since the best way is to try it myself. Too bad here we don't have any return policy like you guys in western world.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kataklystik, let me ask you a bit more
biggrin.gif
Could you tell me which tubes combination you currently use with 701?

I use Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8100.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

The reason why I consider 701 is that I want to find something "different" from my current cans. Actually, I did audition them both (with Lisa3 and Hornet) before I decided to pick 650 (as I prefer its smoothness and attck). However, 2 or so months after that purchase (I bought 650 first and then DV332 in the following month), I found that I'm still craving for AKG's sound and I think it's great to have the best of both world
wink.gif

Actually I'm in a similar situation. Like you, I auditioned them both and after I heard the modded HD580 with the DV332 I want a Sennheiser too now. I think with both headphones you have a great combination.
I decided to get a turntable and some LPs first (in the next 2 weeks or so) but I think that I'll buy a HD600 oder HD650 someday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Were are you from? Couldn't you order from Amazon and return it if you don't like it?

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I use Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8100.

I also have Mullard, but the inferior EF95, not the upgraded M8100.
I don't know if they are the same in respect of sound signature, but I prefer the clarity of WE403B more. Another downside of my EF95 is that one of them hums like hell, so I shelved them.

Quote:

Actually I'm in a similar situation. Like you, I auditioned them both and after I heard the modded HD580 with the DV332 I want a Sennheiser too now. I think with both headphones you have a great combination.
I decided to get a turntable and some LPs first (in the next 2 weeks or so) but I think that I'll buy a HD600 oder HD650 someday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Were are you from? Couldn't you order from Amazon and return it if you don't like it?

Turntable!
That's an expensive choice, but I can't deny it sounds better than CD. Only bad thing is to get a good sound, you have to pay a lot of money. You know, good turntable itself, tonearm, phono stage, amp (oops... forgot you already have a great amp
biggrin.gif
), and even the albums themselves are pretty expensive (compared to CD).

Anyway, about ordering from Amazon, since I live in Thailand, where most of the things entering our border are subject to 20% duty and 7% VAT, which is based on the value of goods + 20% duty, I think ordering from Amazon or eBay may not be a good choice. If I order it and end up sending it back, the shipping cost + tax may be as high as half of the headphones' price itself
eek.gif

Maybe buying here and selling it used if I don't like is the best choice. But I find it hard not to like it
smily_headphones1.gif
. I may end up buying another amp just for them. Ohhh my wallet's bleeding
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Turntable!
That's an expensive choice, but I can't deny it sounds better than CD. Only bad thing is to get a good sound, you have to pay a lot of money. You know, good turntable itself, tonearm, phono stage, amp (oops... forgot you already have a great amp
biggrin.gif
), and even the albums themselves are pretty expensive (compared to CD).

Yes it gets pretty expensive but I will start out with a beginner turntable and maybe upgrade later, I still have many years to build a LP collection and upgrade my turntable, I turned 18 a few weeks ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

Back to your problem: Couldn't you visit the store you got your HD650 from and ask them if you can return K701 if you buy them and don't like them? They know you, so probably there is a possibility that you can listen to the K701 with your equipment.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Back to your problem: Couldn't you visit the store you got your HD650 from and ask them if you can return K701 if you buy them and don't like them? They know you, so probably there is a possibility that you can listen to the K701 with your equipment.

Get them from Audio Advisors - you can return them within 30 days. I think TTVJ also has a similar policy. Though, I wouldn't abuse the policy.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a DV332 & K701 & TBH I don't enjoy listening to this combo for anything.

Maybe i'm picky. Who knows...

Would you elaborate a bit?

Why don't you like it?
Too bright, too boring, or anything?

After hearing positive results, it's good to hear some negative one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back