QUESTION REGARDING DAP BURN IN
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DAPpower

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't want to dive in too much into the controversy of whether or not "Burn In" of source devices or DACs can yield audible differences or not but I'm gonna say I believe that it does makes a difference to my ears personally.

I've always wondered if I could "Burn In" a DAP by just playing files on the device but not plugging the DAP to a audio output device (IEMs, Headphones, Speakers ect.).
Would a burn in still work without using speakers or headphones?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 5
Does anyone know if this is actually possible?

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Since you believe in burn-in, not playing anything into a headphones, you are not using the amp section of DAP. It is important to "burn-in" this section as those components do the heavy lifting for the DAP.

I personally don't believe in this type of burn-in and think it is much more important to let your brain get accustomed to new sounds that worry about burn-in.

This has been measured time and time again with little or no evidence of mechanical or electrical burn-in. Not trying to rag on you at all, but you should rest assured that listening to your device is far more important than letting it burn-in. How else would you know that it has changed, especially if you are not measuring it at time =0 and then time = later?

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Since you believe in burn-in, not playing anything into a headphones, you are not using the amp section of DAP. It is important to "burn-in" this section as those components do the heavy lifting for the DAP.

I personally don't believe in this type of burn-in and think it is much more important to let your brain get accustomed to new sounds that worry about burn-in.

This has been measured time and time again with little or no evidence of mechanical or electrical burn-in. Not trying to rag on you at all, but you should rest assured that listening to your device is far more important than letting it burn-in. How else would you know that it has changed, especially if you are not measuring it at time =0 and then time = later?

Thank you so much, I've got my answer.
In my experience I have noticed definite changes in soundstage and smoothness on my other DAPs, it may be subtle differences but to my ears it does make a difference. I will leave it at that however.

Thanks again!

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Dear all, as one who has been in the technical side of music production and electronics for over 30 years now, i can assure everyone that there IS such a thing as "burn-in", but not perhaps in the way that most music listeners/analysts understand. There is two sides to "burn-in" - first is the obvious auditory nerve and brain adjustment to sound signature factor, which is subjective & personal that occurs over the course of continuous listening to music, generating either pleasure or irritation depending upon sound preferences and expectations - second is electrical conductance, since the capacitors in the amplifier have to become loaded/warmed with electrons to open up transistor semi-conductor flow and magnetic resonance, which improves the music quality over time, meaning, a smoother flow of electrons across resistance loads, thereby creating magneto-electrical alignment in the components. While these are subtle changes, they do register significantly in audiophile trained brains. I hope this simplified answer of complex electronics and brain patterning explains this phenomenon satisfactorily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back