Question re: iFi Zen DAC and 4.4 balanced out
Sep 17, 2020 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wmischke

Head-Fier
I have a Zen DAC that sits on my desk. I use it as a DAC/amp for wearing headphones, and also as a DAC in between my laptop and a pair of active speakers (Edifier 1700). I run a RCA cable from the outputs on the Zen to the inputs on the speakers. I was just wondering about the 4.4mm balanced output on the back of the Zen. . . Could I use a 4.4mm to RCA cable (like this: https://www.amazon.com/4-4mm-Balanc...d=1&keywords=4.4+to+rca&qid=1600343581&sr=8-3) to connect to the speakers instead? And would it theoretically improve the sound?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Keeping in mind that I don't own your DAC/amp nor your speakers...

Yes, I suppose that cable would physically work in that it has the correct pinout. But no, I highly doubt it would sound better. It's not like there's a balanced amp inside those speakers.

Personally, I would not spend the money for that particular upgrade. :relaxed:

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Keeping in mind that I don't own your DAC/amp nor your speakers...

Yes, I suppose that cable would physically work in that it has the correct pinout. But no, I highly doubt it would sound better. It's not like there's a balanced amp inside those speakers.

Personally, I would not spend the money for that particular upgrade. :relaxed:

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you! (I'm still pretty new to all this)

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 5
You may however want to switch to using the balanced output with headphones, particularly if you're not getting the volume you want out of them.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 5
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you! (I'm still pretty new to all this)

Welcome! :relaxed: Glad you asked though, never hurts to ask right?

You may however want to switch to using the balanced output with headphones, particularly if you're not getting the volume you want out of them.

:point_up: Now that is a much better idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back