1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Question re: HiBy User Interface

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by DuncanF, Dec 7, 2018.
  1. DuncanF
    Can someone please tell me how the HiBy touchscreen UI deals with very large databases? I have a Rockboxed/iFlashed iPod Classic with 512GB and approx. 33000 tracks. Moving around the database is very easy thanks to the iPod wheel and the configurable "accelerator" in Rockbox.

I'm pondering a move to a more modern DAP, probably one running the HiBy software. I'll want to put the same amount of music on it. When scrolling through a long page of (say) artists is this done one page at a time, or a flick motion so the page flies by and then slows as seen on smartphones or .. something else? I'd be annoyed if digging down to "Z" was a brutally slow process.

Edit to add: under consideration is the Shanling M2S, HiBy R3 and Hidizs AP80. Also the Sony NW-A45/A55. I'll use the DAP 80% as a feed to a Mojo and 20% standalone.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. IceOrror
    In regards to Sony based daps the scrolling will be pretty laggy () and that's on their more high-end models. The Hiby R6 is probably the most powerful (in regards to CPU perf) Android-based DAP. Also, Sony players don't have a "search" function. Which for me personally is a major quality-of-life loss.

So outside any other consideration(Output Impedance, I/O, etc) and strictly using software performance as a metric, I would rank Sony pretty low and Hiby R6 at the top.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    DuncanF likes this.