Question re: Headphile V2 cables and Sennheiser HD-600
Nov 28, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, here's the deal: my girlfriend is having a difficult time coming up with Christmas gift ideas for me, so she wants me to put together a list of possible ideas. I recently purchased a pair of used Senn 600s from the FS forum, but they have yet to arrive. Included in my "want list" would be an upgraded cable for the Senns, and the Headphile V2 cables would be within her price range, specifically the BlackSilver and BlackCopper.

There are a couple of problems, though:

1) The headphones won't arrive until next week, and I haven't heard a pair on my system before, so I can't comment at this time as to what specific sonic characteristics I would be looking for. However, she would like to have the list fairly soon. This being the case, I'm looking for some general recommendations now, and will also ask again later with some specific sound requirements for my tastes.

2) I would be powering them with a Little Dot MKII for the time being, with a Keces 151 as a source, so I'm not even sure if my initial sound impressions will be very trustworthy, as I'm planning on upgrading the amp in the near(ish) future to another tube variety that would be able to handle the Senns better (fwiw, $$$ towards an amp upgrade will also be on my list!
biggrin.gif
). I'm considering a Little Dot MKIV, Darkvoice 336i/SE, or Head Direct EF1.

So... any general recommendations from members who have tried either the BlackSilver or BlackCopper with the 600s and a tube amp?? Which one might be better suited for these phones? I know that the silver might usually be recommened for Sennheisers, but I also have read that the 600s tend to be a bit brighter than the other models, but I'm not sure if those impressions have been with SS or tube... and I'm pretty set on tubes, myself!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, also, my musical tastes are mostly filled with folk, acoustic rock, jazz, blues, and general rock. Quality vocal reproduction is always good in my book, and I like a lively sound (but not aggressive), and one that's not too sterile. The 600s are replacing a pair of 2003 Beyer DT-880s, which, while I liked them at first, ended up sounding to sterile and treble-tipped for my tastes.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 4
There's also the Dowin DW12, which looks mighty fine...

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 4
I can tell you that the two cables which IMO were the best match with an HD600 were the Senn V2 in BlackSilver and the Revelation Audio. However for the money and now poor reputation of Revelation Audio I would get the Senn V2.

FYI I compare about 8-9 different cables such as:

- Silver Dragon
- Zu
- RnB52
- HD650 stock
- Senn V2
- Revelation Audio
- And many others

Good luck.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you that the two cables which IMO were the best match with an HD600 were the Senn V2 in BlackSilver and the Revelation Audio. However for the money and now poor reputation of Revelation Audio I would get the Senn V2.

FYI I compare about 8-9 different cables such as:

- Silver Dragon
- Zu
- RnB52
- HD650 stock
- Senn V2
- Revelation Audio
- And many others

Good luck.

Fantastic! Thanks for your advice!

What was the equipment that you were using when you decided this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back