Question on W1000 or A1000
Jun 22, 2005 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
The W1000 doesn't get good feedback here on this forum but at the same time I read a very good review from 6moons and several high praise from owners on audiocubes. Maybe people who own them could answer the following.

It seems clear that the W1000 are a bit "light" on bass, are a bit "analytical" and not as warm/liquid in the mids as the old W100, however I'm not much concerned about these "negative" attributes.

What I really want to know is if it has sssssibilant and aggressive mids/highs and if it creates listener fatigue? That I don't like at all.

I would also like to know if you've compared the W1000 to the A1000, which are very close price wise. If so, what are the big differences.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 12
Bump. Me and my buddy are both interested in the W1000s and have the A-900s. I would love to read some critical comparisons for those that have heard/owned both. My (selfish) preferences:

I currently own Grado SR-225s and A-900s. I listen to mainly rock and acoustic rock. I use my 225s to rock out, but can only use these "open" phone "after hours." The A-900s are my all around phones and can be used when others are around cos they're closed. I like their bass and the high's are quite high, but the mids could be better...

If the W1000s would serve the dual purpose of being fast like the 225s (and I've read that they are fast) and yet closed like the A-900s, then maybe they are the only headphone I need for home listening. However, I also read that they are dry and lacking in bass. I have done a search and read some comments but would like to see if there's a more current view directly comparing the W1000s to the A-900s.

So, for those who have tried/own the W1000s and have tried/own the A-900s as well, pleease post your impressions. I have read the other A-T appreciation thread.

thx, -walkman

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for bumping my post! I was already wondering why nobody is answering. In theory, if we look at the AT survey in another post, there is at least 16 w1000 owners and 3 a1000 owners on this forum. It would be nice if some would be nice enough to share a little comment even if it is negative.

There is quite a few to say they like the W100 better then the W1000. I have to assume and hope my question is not really relevant and mids/highs are not ssssibilant or aggressive creating listener fatigue on the W1000.

Would also be nice to know why the A1000 is rated a "limited edition" on audiocubes, wonder if it is a very positive attribute for AT to produce it in such small numbers.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Bump. Me and my buddy are both interested in the W1000s and have the A-900s. I would love to read some critical comparisons for those that have heard/owned both. My (selfish) preferences:

I currently own Grado SR-225s and A-900s. I listen to mainly rock and acoustic rock. I use my 225s to rock out, but can only use these "open" phone "after hours." The A-900s are my all around phones and can be used when others are around cos they're closed. I like their bass and the high's are quite high, but the mids could be better...

If the W1000s would serve the dual purpose of being fast like the 225s (and I've read that they are fast) and yet closed like the A-900s, then maybe they are the only headphone I need for home listening. However, I also read that they are dry and lacking in bass. I have done a search and read some comments but would like to see if there's a more current view directly comparing the W1000s to the A-900s.

So, for those who have tried/own the W1000s and have tried/own the A-900s as well, pleease post your impressions. I have read the other A-T appreciation thread.

thx, -walkman

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Note that you were asking for a comparison. Few would have both I would think. I can not help you there.

I love my ATH-W1000s.

I think almost everyone loves these especially at a price around $450. I know some say this or that about them in comparison but how much difference is there actually.

Having read so many comparisons between the W100, W2002, W1000 and others, I wonder just how much of a delta in performance there actually is between phones of the same model number compared with those of a different model number? Especially at the same level as defined by the manufacturer such as ATHs: W100, W1000, W2002 (a prototype of the W1000, probably named for the year released).

Has anyone actually done that comparison?

Since phones are so similar in sound, how does humidity effect a phone comparison, how about temperature? Maybe these alone can change ones perception between different models at the same level?

How about atmospheric pressure, does a phone sound different in Denver than San Francisco?

Does burn-in change a model perception more than the perceived delta between models of the same manufacturer?

Maybe all this is not important in any comparison but when we make so much of small things maybe some of these issues are important.

Just so many questions. I think a scientific study would require the use of more than one sample for each model ensuring that humidity and temperature were close.

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 12
slwiser, you are right, my subject is confusing, I tried to edit it but it does not seem to work. What I meant was that I wanted to ear from owners of W1000 or A1000 since I was covering both with my questions!

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. You are probably in part right, we do put a lot of emphasis on small differences and within a given price bracket it's probably more a matter of personal taste then a matter of real big flaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Note that you were asking for a comparison. Few would have both I would think. I can not help you there.

I love my ATH-W1000s.

I think almost everyone loves these especially at a price around $450. I know some say this or that about them in comparison but how much difference is there actually.

Having read so many comparisons between the W100, W2002, W1000 and others, I wonder just how much of a delta in performance there actually is between phones of the same model number compared with those of a different model number? Especially at the same level as defined by the manufacturer such as ATHs: W100, W1000, W2002 (a prototype of the W1000, probably named for the year released).

Has anyone actually done that comparison?

Since phones are so similar in sound, how does humidity effect a phone comparison, how about temperature? Maybe these alone can change ones perception between different models at the same level?

How about atmospheric pressure, does a phone sound different in Denver than San Francisco?

Does burn-in change a model perception more than the perceived delta between models of the same manufacturer?

Maybe all this is not important in any comparison but when we make so much of small things maybe some of these issues are important.

Just so many questions. I think a scientific study would require the use of more than one sample for each model ensuring that humidity and temperature were close.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 12
No prob, Loftprojection. Also, I noticed that bluetin.com, direct from Singapore (but no returns) sells A-Ts and even lists the W100 in addition to the W1000. This would lead me to go back to the "what A-T do you own" thread and discern if there's a preference (IIRC, folks liked the W100s more than the W1000s, but then again, slwiser has some profound points).

- walkman

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes, bahamaman, I noticed that on the left-hand menu the W100 is listed with a price, but then when one drills down, there are no details/pix etc for the W100 in the table that they have comparing the various A-T models. I wouldn't conclude that the W100 is not available though; it's just inconsistent. I guess an email to bluetin would ultimately provide the definitive answer.

- walkman

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Hum, that bluetin is interesting, the W100 are also cheaper by a good margin. Boy would I like to be able to listen to those AT cans, a W100-W1000-A1000 lineup with a good source and tube amp would be really interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Yes, bahamaman, I noticed that on the left-hand menu the W100 is listed with a price, but then when one drills down, there are no details/pix etc for the W100 in the table that they have comparing the various A-T models. I wouldn't conclude that the W100 is not available though; it's just inconsistent. I guess an email to bluetin would ultimately provide the definitive answer.

- walkman

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 12
walkman666 - you're absolutely right. It would indeed be worth an email to bluetin. Why do I have the feeling that, should the W100 be available, it will shortly be sold out
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Why do I have the feeling that, should the W100 be available, it will shortly be sold out
wink.gif

Update: Bluetin sold out of the W100 three days ago.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Confirmed, bahamaman. I just rang off with bluetin. Oh well. Onto the used forum. Cheers.

- walkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back