Question on the word meh
Apr 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 35
I'm sure it started as "eh," but then the "m" became a stowaway on the front lines.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 35
In sweden it´s öh.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 35
I vote for internet slang.
In all these years I have never heard anyone using it in a conversation. Spoken that is.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 35
^
That's pretty much how I feel about 'meh'. It's always on forums, sometimes in some kind of messenger(aim,msn,google,irc,etc) but never in an actual conversation.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 35
It must be New England thing cuz I hear it all the time, in my school and with my friends.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh

Personally i don't use it nor do my friends, but in all honesty i find it very annoying when it's used. Will it ruin my day no, but it's kind of like the F bomb for me. It's just something very unnecessary when i see it or hear it.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally i don't use it nor do my friends, but in all honesty i find it very annoying when it's used. Will it ruin my day no, but it's kind of like the F bomb for me. It's just something very unnecessary when i see it or hear it.

How is a word bothersome to anyone? Modern society has done a very odd thing to us, it not only sculpts us as individuals but dictates how we think. This word wasn't used when I attended school therefore its completely unnecessary and I find it annoying.

A few other new words for you folks to frown upon:
- webisode
- vlog
- hoody

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 35
When speaking, I use 'Eh' to the same effect that I would use 'Meh' online. To me, it's kind of a non-committal 'no.'

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is a word bothersome to anyone? Modern society has done a very odd thing to us, it not only sculpts us as individuals but dictates how we think. This word wasn't used when I attended school therefore its completely unnecessary and I find it annoying.

- webisode
- vlog
- hoody

No, if i were to think like that, then that's just ignorant. Maybe i should have elaborated further. It's when you overuse a term, it starts becoming annoying, on campus you'd hear so many lingo's and some you hear all the time, meh is one of those, that's why we choose not to say it. It's like hearing a song repeatedly, it will eventually start getting on your nerves.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Meh" is a poor substitute for "feh," which has been in much longer usage.

I disagree. Say "feh" and "meh" out loud. Meh requires less effort than feh. Feh's higher energy requirement can show greater disdain, but meh can show the complete lack of energy one has to even form a response beyond making a rather minimal sound.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- webisode
- vlog
- hoody

I really enjoy the evolution of the English language. Look at how it was so poorly regarded that English scholars wrote in Latin, French, Dutch, basically anything that was not English to being one of the most widely used languages in the world.

We're at an interesting point of evolution as well as the internet and electronic depictions of letters and words are making as large an impact on the language as the movement from hand written script to the printing press.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, if i were to think like that, then that's just ignorant. Maybe i should have elaborated further. It's when you overuse a term, it starts becoming annoying, on campus you'd hear so many lingo's and some you hear all the time, meh is one of those, that's why we choose not to say it. It's like hearing a song repeatedly, it will eventually start getting on your nerves.

I probably hear the term "I know" about a hundred times a day but it never bothered me but "whatever" bothers me for some reason even though I only hear a few times a day.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably hear the term "I know" about a hundred times a day but it never bothered me but "whatever" bothers me for some reason even though I only hear a few times a day.

It's the indifference of the term, I think. Just like meh, saying "whatever" is sort of a shorthand version of saying "I don't care". In most contexts it comes off as self-centered, rude, lazy, or any other variety of negative things. It's grating on the nerves when people everywhere act like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back