Question on source, emu0404 usb
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rob91

New Head-Fier
Right now I've got my phones (grado 225) connected to my emu0404, which connects to my comp. I think soon I will invest in an amp, something modest. Depending on what I get, do you think it will run okay through my comp and emu0404, or should I just ditch that setup and go with a completely different source? Or just do comp to amp and skip the emu? Thanks.

Hah I think I just remembered something, I need some sort of DAC to run from my comp, right? Ok well I'm sure you've all guessed I'm not great at this. Anyways, while I'm here, any recommendations on a good amp? I was thinking <300 range. If I need to provide more info than that just let me know, thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 8
your 0404 (i guess usb?) acts as your DAC, and a decent one too.
you can use 1/4" to RCA cables to connect to a separate amp.
0404usb is a little bright by itself so I think it's best to look for a warmish amp. maybe some tube amp? fwir grado seems to love those.
look at littleDot or darkvoice

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for clearing that up paaj, and the little dot's especially look like an interesting line. I guess the only question know is which amp. I will browse a bit more, so if you guys throw any more recommendations my way it would be great. Thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 8
btw: first look at the computeraudio forum for tips on how to properly setup your 0404usb with asio and all that stuff. and in case you didn't: rip your music properly.
really can make a big difference.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Definitely keep the 0404 USB. I have mine paired with much more expensive equipment, and it fares pretty well. It's my favorite thing in its pricerange, though I'm not a fan of the headphone out.

All tube amp suggestions above are good. I'd also consider buying a used DIY tube amp on these boards. Look for a Bijou, Millett, or SOHA -- any of those should make you pretty happy.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, I rip my music to lame v2, which works for me. I remember having troubles setting up my ASIO a while back and just giving up, maybe I'll try checking that out again.

Thanks for following up Sherwood. I will check out those amps too.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 8
I've been running my SR60s from my 0404 USB's headphone output, and have no complaints (as long as I'm using my desktop system and not my laptop - but that's a different rant).

The 0404 also does a wonderful job of driving those big old 250-ohm Koss Pro4AAAs. So far, I haven't felt a need to buy a separate amp, though the day may come.

I've ripped my music to FLAC; I have plenty of room on my RAID5 array, so the extra space vs. MP3 or Ogg Vorbis isn't a problem. However, I encode to Ogg for my Rockboxed Sansa, where space becomes a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back