Question on iBasso D2+ vs D4
Nov 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

supern0va

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Sorry am decently new to amps so I'm not sure if this will be a stupid question.

I am using the UM3X IEMs and I use them with my MacBook when I am home, and with my iPhone 3G when I am on the move.

Am thinking of getting a DAC/AMP, mainly to be used at home with the MacBook. My intention is to get more treble and soundstage out of the UM3X.

The D4 seems to have pretty good reviews, but considering the chip is exactly the same as the D2+ (well 2 of it, but still...), I am wondering, will the D2+ and D4 will perform comparably? What is the added benefit of the dual DAC? The built-in rechargeable battery of the D2+ seems better on the move, and the D2+ is cheaper anyway.

Other than the D2+ and D4, are there any reasonably priced DAC/AMP that I should consider?

On a side note, is the LOD cable from iBasso any good?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 10
The D4 has one chip per channel. General impressions I've read around here seem to put the D4 above the D2+ and even the D10.

Other dac/amps in or around that price range: Nuforce Icon Mobile, Total Bithead, Meier Corda 3Move, Pico...

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Apples and Oranges comparison...doesnt even come close!
If you can tolerate the size, the D4 is one of the finest portables around right now!
See my thread, with pictures too!

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D4 has one chip per channel. General impressions I've read around here seem to put the D4 above the D2+ and even the D10.

Pardon my ignorance, what does "one chip per channel" mean, and what benefit does that give me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apples and Oranges comparison...doesnt even come close!
If you can tolerate the size, the D4 is one of the finest portables around right now!
See my thread, with pictures too!

I think the size is not significantly different from the D2+. Price too, for that matter (~$50). Why am I not comparing apples to apples? The way I see it, the chip is the same. Could you educate me on what the difference is?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 10
two channels: left and right

Most use one chip for both channels. The D4 uses one chip for each channel. I've never heard it, so I can't comment on the difference in sound quality.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 10
I asked iBasso and got the following response:

Quote:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email..
The D4 is better than the D2+ in all area except the D2+ has longer play time when power by battery, and the D2+ has rechargeable li-polymer battery.
The dual DAC offers more detail, and more clear sound.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Sounds like D4 is the way to go if $$ is not an issue

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked iBasso and got the following response:

Sounds like D4 is the way to go if $$ is not an issue

Go with the D4, you can roll opamps, has a better DAC and better amp section by far!

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the D4, you can roll opamps, has a better DAC and better amp section by far!

Not better DAC, just 2 of the same which allows for things to come out better, they still implement the same Wolfson amp though. Also the important difference in the D2+ and D4 is obviously any internal circuitry and the stock opamps as they should both perform well in the DAC dept.

Here are the opamps used by the D2, the D3, and the D4, I imagine the D2 and D2+ have the same ones, as it was just a minor upgrade for that series.

"the D4 has AD8066 and LMH6655, the D2 has AD8656+AD8532, the D3 has ADA4841-2."

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben7337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not better DAC, just 2 of the same which allows for things to come out better, they still implement the same Wolfson amp though. Also the important difference in the D2+ and D4 is obviously any internal circuitry and the stock opamps as they should both perform well in the DAC dept.

Here are the opamps used by the D2, the D3, and the D4, I imagine the D2 and D2+ have the same ones, as it was just a minor upgrade for that series.

"the D4 has AD8066 and LMH6655, the D2 has AD8656+AD8532, the D3 has ADA4841-2."

Thanks for the info. Just curious, has anyone actually TRIED both D2+ (or even D2 for that matter) and D4 before concluding that the latter sounded better?

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. Just curious, has anyone actually TRIED both D2+ (or even D2 for that matter) and D4 before concluding that the latter sounded better?

Someone may have, but I have honestly been searching around and haven't found anything. I was personally considering the Mini^3 but decided that the D3 would be best, then found that it is discontinued for the D4 and there is nothing comparing the D2, D3, and/or D4, so really the D4 quality seems more speculative and assumed by iBasso than anything else. On the bright side I can say that Skylabs has a thread with 37 amps reviewed and he should have the D4 lent to him and a review up before new years, if that is any consolation. He has reviewed both the D2 and D3, though not the D2+. I know I am patiently waiting for that review, if you can maybe you should too.

Oh also on the iBasso LOD cable, I haven't heard anything particularly bad about it and people seem to recommend it somewhat. However it seems from what I have heard that you can get a LOD made by one of the well known head-fier's here for basically the same price and those I imagine would be better quality, though I am not sure on that and you should probably look in the cables thread and find the people who make LOD's and inquire about costs and materials used to them. I know I plan to do this soon.

EDIT: Okay I went through and here is a list of DIY head-fier's who make LOD's (though I am not sure if they are all currently making them or what they charge) warrior05 (recommended), stevenkelby (recommended), barqy (recommended), Punnisher (recommended but not mentioned much), Zombie_X (he advertised himself on a thread, not sure about his quality or how many he has made, but possibly worth looking into)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back