Question on Closed Headphone comfort
Jun 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

audionewbie

Head-Fier
hello,

I have posted this also over at avforums but thought i would ask it here as it is more dedicated.

I recently bought some senn 595's for home listening and so far they have been fine for the most part. however, for on the go i use some bog standard sony earphones with my MD player. Considering i spend an hour travelling each way to work, i think i should upgrade.

however, as i am on the bus obviously open backed ones would be no use so it will have to be closed.

The main point of this thread is really to get some opinions about which headphones have the best balance of comfort and sound.

i don't like the look of shiny ear pad material and would prefer something similar if not the same as that of the sennheisers although thought i would try a different make.

has anyone any experience of the the audio-technica a5,7,900's (the latter possibly too pricey) or the beyerdynamics 770's.

i have seen lots of people recommending them in closed headphone posts but not many mentioning specifically how comfortable they are and how hot/sweaty they make you ears get or at least not enough for my liking.

any experienced opinions on which will be most suitable and sounds the best?

thanks in advance for any advice you may give.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I can only speak to the AT's, since those are the only ones I have. The AT-Axxx series is really quite comfortable, and they have a fun sound with some caveats depending on your source. I like my A700's a lot, except the I sometimes have problems with the mids. I'm trying to tweak my DAP to compensate, but haven't had a whole lot of luck so far.

Comfort-wise, I can wear them for hours, but I'm in a relatively cooler area of the USA so I don't have too many problems with them getting sweaty or anything.

If you're going to be using these on the bus, however, I would definitely tell you to look elsewhere. They're gigantic. The other bus riders will probably wonder if you're on the way to an air traffic control job or something.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 13
I have no comfort issue with all of my close cans. and all of them are audio-technica.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 13
I recommend having iems for on the go since they're much more portable than full size cans and they tend to isolate better than most closed cans.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 13
ye, the size might be a bit odd but i don't care how i look.

Do circumaural ones leak audibly or would it onl;y be at high volumes.

I quite like the senn's and how they feel, just thought they wouldn't be socially acceptable.

I might look at in ear ones although not sure, still as long as they won't get too hot i might still consider them.

thanks for the opinions, this sort of thing you can't tell from spec's.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 13
At moderate levels, my A700's don't leak much noise out at all. Not sure how much I'd have to bump up the volume to drown out noise on the bus though.

And I'm not joking about the air traffic controller comment. I actually had a coworker make that comment to me at my past workplace. Then I had him listen to the headphones and he didn't make any more snide comments. Heh.

Personally I use IEMs (Westone UM1's) when I'm on the bus. Good sound attenuation and comfy. The only downside to them is that sometimes people don't notice that I have something in my ears and try to strike up a conversation.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 13
The BeyerDynamic DT 770 are very comfortable because of the velour earpads. They are not hot or sweaty at all.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BeyerDynamic 770 are very comfortable because of the velour earpads. They are not hot or sweaty at all.

Seconded.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 13
ah so it is velour on the 770's.(didn't notice it saying that on their website)

I do not think i will go the IEM route as i just don't want something that much in my ear, looking through the IEM section it also seems to be a problem with some people finding a pair that fits and gives the correct sound.

i am not wanting to have to try and buy a few pairs as i just can't be bothered.

the AT A900 is a little expensive, they are cheapest on audiocubes but that seems to be international shipping so i don't know how expensive overall they will be or what happens if they go wrong.

bought from a u.k website they are too expensive for me to justify. indeed one of the downsides mentioned in the buyers guide up top is that the ear pads on AT's use patent leather which does not sound that comfy or as comfy as velour.

Again, not caring what i look like, the beyrdynamics get good reviews and if they are comfy to wear for an hour at a time then i may give them a go.

I will decide over the weekend i suppose.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 13
O.K, need more opinions.

seems a few people say the beyer's need an amp to get the most out of them, however, is this a big difference or is it the mountain out of a molehill difference i hear people can make.

Perhaps i would need something a bit less expensive for my needs although i don't want to buy something and then think i'd wasted money in not getting something better at the time.

i do not want too much baggage here so won't be carrying an amp around which makes me think i might have to alter my choices.

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 13
the dt770 (and 880/990) are by far the most comfortable headphones i have ever donned (and i have tried a LOT of headphones). as a bonus, in the winter months they keep you cozy too.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 13
comfort is what i am after, unless i save some cash and just use my senn's.

then again isolation and leaking are important too as i don't like to disturb others, damn ipod users who play it so loud you just hear tinny noises annoy the hell out of me and i don't want to join them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back