Question on Audio-Technica AD1000-2000, W1000-100
May 26, 2005 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Here is the deal. I'm quite "green" with headphones so please be gentle with me and all the comments/words I'll use below! haha Also sorry for the length of the post, I'm a bit too verbal sometimes!

I've owned and old pair of Beyer DT511 for 8-10 years and I'd like to upgrade. I've shopped a bit and already discarded Senns 600 and Grado 325. They both have some very nice qualities but they both sound too much "in the head" type versus the sound of Beyer 880 or mine which is kind of almost outside the head, a little more like speakers, it feels more airy. I also listened to a Stax 2020 kit, those were great but the headphones are too flimsy with the creaking plastic plus they need their own amp and I already have a tube headphone amp.

So I'm left with the Beyer DT880. Those are better than my old ones and share very similar characteristics, just a bit better on everything.

BUT, there is still Audio-Technica that could be a contender. Unfortunately I don't have any stores in my area that carries the AD1000 or 2000 or the W1000. They only have the low-end models of A-T, M20-30-40.

Now, I have read an unbelievable review of the W100 that dates in 2002. The description and words used in that review have me salivate and think that this is exactly the sound I'm looking for. Midrange and voice nirvana, goose bumps when a singer starts singing, lots of detail but no aggressive highs.

So, before I go and spend all these hard earned dollars to order the W1000 or the AD1000, I thought I'd try to get a bit of info from the community here. So those of you who have had the chance to compare the Beyer sound with either the AD1000 or W1000, would you say that the Audio-Technica sound more "inside the head" like Senn/Grado or more airy like Beyer? Any other comments you can share to put up difference between Beyer and A-T will be greatly appreciated.

I'm very very close to pulling the trigger on the W1000! haha

Thanks much for your help. This forum is quite nice and interesting, people here seem more open minded and useful than other forums I've visited in the past.

PS. I like to listen mostly to jazz and new age with some rock, pop, classical every once in a while.

May 26, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 11
While I don't have any experience with the AD1000 and can't comment on them, I do own a pair of of W1000's. Compared to the Beyers I would say that the W1000's lacks mid range and has agressive highs. They definitely sound brighter and thinner than the Beyers. They do provide excellent detail but lack depth. The W100's is a better set of cans than the W1000s IMO with a slighly fuller mid range and better mid bass, unfortunately they have long been discontinued. Despite it's shortcomings, I still like the W1000's with certain types music when I want a more foward sound from it.

May 26, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Wow, thanks a lot warubozu. The review I read on the W100 dates from 2002 and I guess I was a bit innocent thinking that the successor W1000 would be as good if not better! I was really excited by the review comments on the W100 mids/voices which is really something I would like to improve from my current Beyer DT511. It's funny that you say the W1000 has aggressive highs, basically that's one comment you read often from Beyer and my DT511 sure have aggressive highs on specific songs when I don't use my tube amp to power them.

Anyways, thanks much for your comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
While I don't have any experience with the AD1000 and can't comment on them, I do own a pair of of W1000's. Compared to the Beyers I would say that the W1000's lacks mid range and has agressive highs. They definitely sound brighter and thinner than the Beyers. They do provide excellent detail but lack depth. The W100's is a better set of cans than the W1000s IMO with a slighly fuller mid range and better mid bass, unfortunately they have long been discontinued. Despite it's shortcomings, I still like the W1000's with certain types music when I want a more foward sound from it.

May 26, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks again warubozu. I think I definitely wont take a chance on the W1000. I'm still a bit interested by the W100 if I was to find a used not too expensive but I'm more of a one pair of headphone type of person.

So I'll wait to see if the AD1000-2000 crowd have some advise, I've read a few comments and it is interesting but is it worth the risk versus buying the DT880 which will do the job. I would just have liked to get something a little more original since I have the DT511 for so long.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
For more impressions on the W100's, W1000's, or AD1000/2000 check out the following threads or do a search in the headphone forum.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...13#post1366413

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=w100

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=w100

May 26, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I am a very recent newcomer to the Audio Technica's. I have the W100's. I originally wanted the w2002's. But their rarity and high asking prices for them used always put me off and I relegated myself to never owning a pair. So I did some reading up and felt that the W100's might give me a glimpse of the Audio Technica sound.

I find them kind of similar to the Rs-1's with the midrange. But not to the same extreme as the Rs-1's. Bass impact is less than my Rs-1's but then again it is a closed can. I do find the upper mids a touch on the bright side using my WNA amp but when I switch to tube ampification it doesn't seem as prominent.

Considering the price of these when it was released, they perform excellent for the price. It's no R-10 or Rs-1 killer but then again it costs a fraction of the price. But seeming they have been discontinued they are now collectable.

UK headfiers hit the pay dirt when a UK hi fi dealer had a stock of them BRAND NEW a few months back. They were quickly snapped up and now there is none.

But there is one other one which I am after and that's the W11JPN. It's a more warmer version and has more bass impact. AFAIK there are only three headfiers I know of who has them. These are very Rare. So rare I have resorted to extreme measures to get one if possible.

I have asked a friend who just recently moved to Hong Kong with his job to search specific hi fi dealers. These dealers have some of the rarest stuff on the planet. So far, zip!!!!

15998DSC00010.JPG

May 27, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, nice feedback again on the W100, although I'm really afraid when I read stuff like "on the bright side" because my old Beyer are like that unless I use my tube amp, this is not fun at all to have the hissssssing right in your ears! I can barely stand it with regular speakers but with headphones it's real bad!

I'll continue checking it out. I'd really like to hear a pair of closed Audio-Technica (w100 or a1000 or even w1000) to see for myself what they sound like. Heck, maybe I'll have to open the wallet once more and take a risk! haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I am a very recent newcomer to the Audio Technica's. I have the W100's. I originally wanted the w2002's. But their rarity and high asking prices for them used always put me off and I relegated myself to never owning a pair. So I did some reading up and felt that the W100's might give me a glimpse of the Audio Technica sound.

I find them kind of similar to the Rs-1's with the midrange. But not to the same extreme as the Rs-1's. Bass impact is less than my Rs-1's but then again it is a closed can. I do find the upper mids a touch on the bright side using my WNA amp but when I switch to tube ampification it doesn't seem as prominent.

Considering the price of these when it was released, they perform excellent for the price. It's no R-10 or Rs-1 killer but then again it costs a fraction of the price. But seeming they have been discontinued they are now collectable.

UK headfiers hit the pay dirt when a UK hi fi dealer had a stock of them BRAND NEW a few months back. They were quickly snapped up and now there is none.

But there is one other one which I am after and that's the W11JPN. It's a more warmer version and has more bass impact. AFAIK there are only three headfiers I know of who has them. These are very Rare. So rare I have resorted to extreme measures to get one if possible.

I have asked a friend who just recently moved to Hong Kong with his job to search specific hi fi dealers. These dealers have some of the rarest stuff on the planet. So far, zip!!!!

May 27, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Loftprojection>I think you may have misunderstood me or I didn't word it better. The overall tonality of the W100 to me is on the warm side. It's the upper-mids which are a smidgen bright for my taste's. Hope this helps.

May 27, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
I read your original post yesterday, and although I own the AD2000 and have compared it with a store's demo DT880, it was a brief session and I wasn't sure what to say.

This afternoon I somehow found myself at the local headphone store, and spent some time listening to the demo DT880 again.

Well, I ended up going home with a shopping bag containing the DT880.

If you can wait, I will be burning in the DT880 and writing a brief comparison with the AD2000.

DT880AD2000side.jpg

DT880AD2000.jpg

May 27, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Hehe, Elephas, that's great and I sure can wait for your feedback. You're a lucky guy, or rich, or both, hahahaha.

Can't wait to read your comments. If you can, also post what you use for source and amp, I'm not an expert in headphones but with the brief shopping experience I did last week and at home, I now know that it makes a uge difference, specially the source but the amp can be significant also. I'm much more satisfied of my old Beyer 511 since I bought a little tube amp 2 days ago.

Thanks again, I'm sure you will have lot's of fun comparing those two together. Isn't audio fun!
wink.gif

Elephas said:
I read your original post yesterday, and although I own the AD2000 and have compared it with a store's demo DT880, it was a brief session and I wasn't sure what to say.

This afternoon I somehow found myself at the local headphone store, and spent some time listening to the demo DT880 again.

Well, I ended up going home with a shopping bag containing the DT880.

If you can wait, I will be burning in the DT880 and writing a brief comparison with the AD2000.

May 27, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
You're a lucky guy, or rich, or both, hahahaha.

I'm neither, but this site isn't making things any easier.

Yes, I agree with you regarding the source and amp. I usually do my headphone listening through a PC and iPod, but for the comparison I will also use a Sony CDP.

Please don't expect too much. I'm new to headphones and usually listen to speakers.

Note: you need to add [/QUOTE] at the end of a quoted sentance for it show up as a quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back