[Question] KossKSC-35 & Audio-Technica ATH-EQ88
Dec 20, 2004 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ko Nectic Jazz

100+ Head-Fier
My first post and my first thread ever !
eek.gif

And my first question.

I'm using a Bose QuietComfort 2, but I'm looking for a lighter (or smaller) headphone to use with my T-Mode (ISM MHD-150). I bought a MDR EX-51 LP, but I can't bear them !! They hurt my hears terribly.
Then first I have been looking for KSC series model, then I met the Audio Technica.

I was wondering if anybody tried these two :
-> Koss KSC-35
-> Audio Technica ATH-EQ88

Can anybody tell me which one is the best. The ATH cost 35$ on Audio Cube, and the KSC-35 29$ on Koss.com. Nearly the same price, so I was wondering. Anybody ?...
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm new here also, but as the style goes: Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

You can't go wrong with the ksc35's. I have 'em and enjoy em alot. About the audio technica, I remember reading somewhere that their lower price range clip on's miss the bass range. I have only heard the Audio-Technica ATH-EM5 and with that model the statement is true. Their bass was totally lacking comparing to ksc35.

I don't know about audio technica, buss koss has life time quarantee. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 15
You might also want to consider the koss KTXpro. Its a more traditional portable headphone with a head band. Same driver as the KSC35 / portapro.

Radio shack sells a re-badged version of the KTXPro. My local RS store has them on sale now for $19. I demo'd them this weekend and they are very good for the $$$.

Garrett

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 15
You should check out the KSC-75s as well. They are cheaper and offer a sound that is reportedley very similar to the 35s. I don't know exactly how they compare to the two sets you suggested, but I know that I love my 75s. They are very comfy and light, but more importantly, they sound excellent.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 15
These are the cans I demo'd... I A/B compared them to my EX71/51s and theres no contest. The EX51 midrange recession was a serious shortcoming. I listen to my 51s with a 3200 Hz EQ boost and its much better, but the midrange still lacks a little something... depth / image / distance compared to the Koss "family".

Radio shack...

**edit***

It comes down to whether or not you prefer ear clips over a headband.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Garrett

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 15
Thank you very much to everyone !
I already know koss (and I know that the little KSC won't beat my Bose, because I had a Porta pro
wink.gif
), and you have convince me to carry on with koss, and I'm not disappointed at all
lambda.gif
!

Just a last question. I already saw the comparative between KSC-35 and KSC-55. Regarding comfort & size, which one is the best ?
I think the size is the same, but what about the comfort ? And can you give me some futher informations I should know ?

At last, I think I won't take a KTX because I'm looking for a small sized clip on.
But I will recommend it. But I saw a KTX pro 1, is there any pro n°2 ??

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
Thank you very much to everyone !
I already know koss (and I know that the little KSC won't beat my Bose, because I had a Porta pro
wink.gif
), and you have convince me to carry on with koss, and I'm not disappointed at all
lambda.gif
!

Just a last question. I already saw the comparative between KSC-35 and KSC-75. Regarding comfort & size, which one is the best ?
I think the size is the same, but what about the comfort ? And can you give me some futher informations I should know ?

At last, I think I won't take a KTX because I'm looking for a small sized clip on.
But I will recommend it. But I saw a KTX pro 1, is there any pro n°2 ??

I havent seen a pro II... next step up is the UR40 which is compact full-size with the same driver.

Garrett

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 15
My brother got me KSC75s for christmas... GREAT cans. Midrange is incredible through my audio technica AT-HA2. Bass is a little shy compared to my well used V6, but Im expecting that to change post break-in.

Extremely comfey, they stay on securely while lying down too. I can hardly feel them clinging to my ears.

Go with the KSC75s, amplify them decently and you'll be rewarded. Very balanced sound spectrum. Bass should round out even more with a good break in. We were demo-ing them on some telarc CDs tonight and we both were very impressed.

Listening to the stellar tones of Eric Johnson as I type this. I certainly wont be using my EX51s again any time soon.

Garrett

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
(and I know that the little KSC won't beat my Bose, because I had a Porta pro
wink.gif
)

I don't think the Portapro and the KSC-35 are the same drivers.

I know that the KSC-35s sound better than most anything in that price range and beyond. Amp them and they can amaze you. I should really use my KSC-35s more, but I usually need isolation...

Dec 26, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn

I know that the KSC-35s sound better than most anything in that price range and beyond. Amp them and they can amaze you. I should really use my KSC-35s more, but I usually need isolation...

Ow but I'm not pretending that they have the same divers !
biggrin.gif

I just say that I know Koss quality, and I had the time to compare them.
And I won't leave my bose for a koss.
smily_headphones1.gif
I love my bose, with his active noise cancelling !
600smile.gif

But ! I need a smaller phone though. I need it when I don't need my bag to transport something else (even if Bose sent me a box to transport them). Moreover, I wanted to ask somebody to compare KSC-35 (or 75) to a 30$ costing Audio Technica phones. I wanted to know the others opinion !
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn

The drivers in the Koss Portapro, Sportapro, KSC-35, -50, -55, -75, and a few others are either identical or very, very similar. I have all of the modles I mentioned, and they all sound essentially the same.

-Keith

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
The drivers in the Koss Portapro, Sportapro, KSC-35, -50, -55, -75, and a few others are either identical or very, very similar. I have all of the modles I mentioned, and they all sound essentially the same.

-Keith

I have the Porta Pros and KSC75s too and concur: they all sound essentially the same.

Dec 27, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 15
I have the sportapro and KSC35. swap the drivers and they sound the same.. Just that the driver placement for KSC35 and sportapro is different resulting in one sound more airy, more soundstage lkind of sound while the sportapro got more bass but sound darker.. Driver placement is the key here..
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back