question/help with Jcally JM20 USB DAC (is NOT encoding DSD natively!)
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tommy Gunn

New Head-Fier
Hello - new member here (been lurking for a while now). I recently bought the Jcally JM20 dongle to use with my LG V20, which I use as a dedicated DAP. Prior to buying the JM20, I used UAPP to play my HR FLACs. Love UAPP and everything works great in that config. But, I wanted to play DSD natively, which is why I bought the JM20.

Unfortunately, either the JM20 is falsely advertised, or I'm having some config issues because it DOES NOT play DSD natively. I am able to play DSD64 & 128 via DoP only.

I have confirmed this with the HiBy player and Neutron. UAPP doesn't like the JM20 for DSD and has been glitchy.

So, either this post will serve as a heads-up, or perhaps maybe someone can help me with some config issues I have yet to try. Is it possible I got a defective JM20? Every review I've seen (including the one here) hasn't addressed DSD encoding so it's difficult for me to determine if this is a singular issue or truly false advertising.

Hope to hear some feedback (and maybe admins might move this to the appropriate forum section, please)

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 6
@Roseval
as stated in my OP, i've confirmed it encodes DSD128 via DoP. My point was that it DOES NOT encode *natively*, nor does it do even decode DSD256 over DoP! Despite the fact the chip is capable and, most importantly, the mfr advertises it as such.

They knew they are selling a USB Type-C device, so if what you say is true re the limitations, they should NEVER have used the word 'natively' at all wrt DSD. I bought it because I wanted that feature.

RE your Type-C limitation claim, there seem to be quite a few # of Type-C dongles that can encode DSD128 natively. How do you account for that then? Esp if USB debugging is enabled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back