Question for "watch-ophiles"
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

guzziguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I'd like to hear your opinion on Junkers watches in general and this watch in particular. Besides the change in dial from a Junkers 6256-2, they will also have a sapphire crystal rather than a mineral crystal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 11
I am far from an expert but it looks similar to many German manufactured pilots watches from companies like Sinn, Archimede, Stowa and others. The movement is and ETA 2824-2 which is a commonly used and reliable automatic movement. The price is the same as the Archimede Pilot: gnomonwatches.

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Pretty reliable movement and Sapphire crystal is a plus. How much are they asking for the watch?

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 11
Price is $350 US (aprox. EUR 268). This seems to be pretty reasonable to me to get a unique, quality watch. Of course, I love things Moto Guzzi.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 11
For US$350, it's not bad for the money.

The sapphire crystal is definitely a plus and the ETA movement is a reliable workhorse.

The headphone equivalent would be the AKG K240S. Not bad for the money, but definitely not in the same league as the premium models.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For US$350, it's not bad for the money.

The sapphire crystal is definitely a plus and the ETA movement is a reliable workhorse.

The headphone equivalent would be the AKG K240S. Not bad for the money, but definitely not in the same league as the premium models.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect to get a $5K watch for $350 and it sounds like this is a reasonable price. The fact that it's a "Moto Guzzi" watch is the kicker for me.

One thing that puzzles me is what really is the difference between a $350 watch and a premium model? When you move up from a K240S to a premium head phone model, you get (or at least should get) sonic improvements. We all know that a $100 Casio is actually a better timepiece than pretty much any automatic watch. So what is it that you feel makes a premium model? I certainly have my opinion on the difference between a Casio and this Junkers model. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Regards,

-ken

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Functionality is often the last thing the buyer is looking for when they buy a fine watch.

If timing accuracy is what you are looking for, the digital Casio will trump any mechanical watch from any of the great watchmaking houses.
frown.gif

In a 'fine' watch, tangible aspects like an appreciation of micro-engineering, craftsmanship and design become important considerations.

Intangibles like brand heritage also contribute to the final decision.

A fine/premium watch has become an extension of one's personality.

I guess another analogy would be a car. If its basic purpose is to take us from point A to point B, the cheapest sub-compact car would do the job. However, from the number of premium automobiles you see on the roads, you would quickly come to the realisation that many of these cars are bought for reasons beyond pure functionality. Same for fine watches.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Junkers!

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Functionality is often the last thing the buyer is looking for when they buy a fine watch.

If timing accuracy is what you are looking for, the digital Casio will trump any mechanical watch from any of the great watchmaking houses.
frown.gif

In a 'fine' watch, tangible aspects like an appreciation of micro-engineering, craftsmanship and design become important considerations.

Intangibles like brand heritage also contribute to the final decision.

A fine/premium watch has become an extension of one's personality.

I guess another analogy would be a car. If its basic purpose is to take us from point A to point B, the cheapest sub-compact car would do the job. However, from the number of premium automobiles you see on the roads, you would quickly come to the realisation that many of these cars are bought for reasons beyond pure functionality. Same for fine watches.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Junkers!

That's pretty much what I figured but you put it into words better than I could have. Most of it comes down to aesthetics and which watches cause our brains to release endorphins!
tongue.gif

I hope that we get up to the necessary 50 preorders to allow this watch to be manufactured. The Junkers is growing on me. Assuming the Moto Guzzi watch doesn't go, the one thing holding me from getting the Junkers it's being based on is that it has a mineral crystal instead of a sapphire crystal. I'm really tough on crystals. Is it possible, easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade the crystal on a watch?

Thanks again for your responses. They have been very helpful.

Regards,

-ken

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 11
A mineral crystal is not nearly as hard and will show scratches much easier. Sapphire will not scratch easily at all.

I guess you could eventually upgrade the crystal but this is not something you want to do yourself without the right tools or knowledge of how to disassemble a watch.

Chances are if you bang up the crystal, the rest of the watch will show lot of bruises too.

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 11
For those who might be interested, a graphics artist photoshopped up some new designs for the dial. The person trying to produce the watches decided to switch to one of the new designs. You can see it here. I think that the new design is much nicer and goes with the watch much better than the old, gaudy red design.

As you will see, we are over half way in getting the pre-orders that we need (27 of 50). So I still might get this watch.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back