Question for solid-state amp owners from a tube-head
Jan 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Z06_Pilot

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

The only headphone amps I have owned are Woo tube amps and I dearly love them(plus they warm up a corner of my home during the winter!)

However, for some music(or moods), I am looking for a little more low end  kick with my HD800's and T1's.

From what I have been reading, ss amps in general are very good in this area.

I recently ordered a Schiit Gungnir DAC and am thinking about matching it with a Mjolnir ss amp. 

I would appreciate anyone's opinion out there who has had  experience with both tube and ss amps regarding what I am looking for.

thanks!

Jeff

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi folks,

The only headphone amps I have owned are Woo tube amps and I dearly love them(plus they warm up a corner of my home during the winter!)

However, for some music(or moods), I am looking for a little more low end  kick with my HD800's and T1's.

From what I have been reading, ss amps in general are very good in this area.

I recently ordered a Schiit Gungnir DAC and am thinking about matching it with a Mjolnir ss amp. 

I would appreciate anyone's opinion out there who has had  experience with both tube and ss amps regarding what I am looking for.

thanks!

Jeff

I have no experience of any of the equipment you mention, however I notice that the Mjolnir is balanced with no single ended outputs. I wonder if you have balanced cables?

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Headamp GS-1 (Dynalo) my all time fave SS amp.  Crazy dynamics and transparency for a "mass produced" commercial product.  Long been discontinued though.

*EDIT* Oops your source is balanced... the GS-1 won't serve you well in that case.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 8
Schiit Mjolnir.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Yulong A18 is very good with HD800 and T1. I don't really like the T1 much but the A18 makes it listenable for me. And HD800 is a very good match. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 8
Jan 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Headamp GS-1 (Dynalo) my all time fave SS amp.  Crazy dynamics and transparency for a "mass produced" commercial product.  Long been discontinued though.

*EDIT* Oops your source is balanced... the GS-1 won't serve you well in that case.

I am not sure GS-1 discontinuation is final, Justin may reintroduce it based on the market demand. For balanced need there is always GS-X, I believe Justin just started shipping rev. 2 with updated modules and power supply.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Thats good to know.   I'll own this amp some day.  AWESOME single ended RS1 synergy.  The GS-1 is a very transparent amp, really allows the sound of the headphone by itself to shine.  IMHO of course.    Sounds good with sennheisers too though.

Balanced Grado woodies + GS-X is the grail Grado setup IMHO.  Haven't heard it with senns though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back