question for senn hd 595 users
Feb 26, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 13

Firestarter

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Posts
304
Likes
10
absolutely, when i'm listening at low volume i can don't even need to take them off for a casual conversation, and an open window can be rather distracting

sometimes when somebody is drilling in the (solid concrete) walls of my apartment building, i have to use my HD 25-1's to safe my sanity (... right!)
 
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 13

Citadel712

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Posts
7
Likes
0
It really depends on how loud you're listening to your music. Typically if I'm listening I can tell if someone is trying to get my attention (but I couldn't understand them without removing the headphones), but I've had times where I'm listening to music and never noticed someone came down the hall and told me to turn my music down because the headphones were too loud. Haha.
 
Feb 27, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 13

thomasmiller

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Posts
27
Likes
0
these 595's provide effectively no isolation, nor are they intended to do so. They are, however, comfortable as anything I've used, and any full sized can that pushes on your ear cartilage really bugs me after 20 minutes. If you want to feel right up front with performers, these are definitely worth an audition.

if you ARE looking for isolation, you should be looking at canal phones, such as those offered by Etymotic or Shure. I have the EP6s for my portable stuff, with a small amp. For higher fidelity, the EP4's are awsome, but a bit expensive for a portable gig (for me, anyway).

I use the canal phones on the plane all the time and I get about 15-18db of attenuation, by my estimate. Avoid the active cancellation types if you're really into the quality of sound.

--tm
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 13

joey

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Posts
71
Likes
0
I got a question about the HD 595, Is the 120 ohm version better than the 50 ohm version? Because I'm considering getting the 120 ohm version because I think it's better. Does the 50 ohm version sound better?
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 13

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
3,316
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
I got a question about the HD 595, Is the 120 ohm version better than the 50 ohm version? Because I'm considering getting the 120 ohm version because I think it's better. Does the 50 ohm version sound better?


I haven't heard any claims about significant sonic differences between the two. The 50 ohm is easier to power out of portables players and such. FWIW, ithe 50 ohm probably has a newer voice coil (with lower resistance), which would imply "new tech" if you care about such things.
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 13

Firestarter

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Posts
304
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
I got a question about the HD 595, Is the 120 ohm version better than the 50 ohm version? Because I'm considering getting the 120 ohm version because I think it's better. Does the 50 ohm version sound better?


depends. i've read reports that the 50 ohm version sounds marginally better. however, if your amp (if you have any..) works better with high impendance loads, the 120 ohm version is obviously going to work better
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 13

joey

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Posts
71
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I haven't heard any claims about significant sonic differences between the two. The 50 ohm is easier to power out of portables players and such. FWIW, ithe 50 ohm probably has a newer voice coil (with lower resistance), which would imply "new tech" if you care about such things.


But doesn't the 50 ohm version have less bass than the 120 ohm version, making it sound less superior than the 120 ohm version?
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 13

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
3,316
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
But doesn't the 50 ohm version have less bass than the 120 ohm version, making it sound less superior than the 120 ohm version?


Maybe I'm out of my depth here....but I was under the impession that it's easier for an amp to deliver good bass with lower impedance headphones. Hence, Ety made lower impedance versions of the er-6 and er-4 for portable players with weak amps...these are bassier than the high-imp versions.

FWIW, I thought the 50 ohm had plenty of bass. Can't compare to the 120 ohm, unfortunately.
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 13

joey

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Posts
71
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Maybe I'm out of my depth here....but I was under the impession that it's easier for an amp to deliver good bass with lower impedance headphones. Hence, Ety made lower impedance versions of the er-6 and er-4 for portable players with weak amps...these are bassier than the high-imp versions.

FWIW, I thought the 50 ohm had plenty of bass. Can't compare to the 120 ohm, unfortunately.



Hmmm. Interesting.

What do you think of this Firestarter? Have you listened to both versions?
 
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 13

Firestarter

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Posts
304
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
Hmmm. Interesting.

What do you think of this Firestarter? Have you listened to both versions?



i'm not at home with amps of any sort, as i use my 595's straight out of my audigy 2 zs. i don't even know if i have the 50ohm or 120ohm version, but i don't really care. i'd much rather have that sexy sleek 'Magic Red' version of the 595's
biggrin.gif


 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top