Question for Gilmore Lite dedicated power supply owners
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the Gilmore Lite for close to a year and a half now. With some recent upgrades & re-arrangement of home/office/pc equipment, I've decided the power supply upgrade was starting to make some sense. Ahead of the Lite will now be a recently purchased e-mu 1212m feeding a CIAudio VAC-1/VDA-1 combo...so it should be a fairly respectable source ahead of the amp.

In the end, it was either the power supply upgrade or sell the Lite & go for the GS-1. Ultimately, I just couldn't see parting with the Lite...it's nicely burned in, and I'm familiar & happy with the sound sig.

I'm curious as to what will be the most noticeable differences with the power supply vs. the wall adapter. Also, what will I be missing in sticking with the Lite + PS vs. the GS-1? Thanks.

Peace,

Graz

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 7
I had my gilmore lite for about 6 months before selling it. I purchased it back from the guy I sold it to with the dps he bought. I missed the amp too much to pass up an opportunity to get it back. I've been really happy with the combo ever since.

I pretty much echo everything Sean H said in his thread about the dps.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128428

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 7
From what I can tell the only difference between the GS-1 and the Lite+DPS combo that would affect the sound is the beefier PS running in the GS-1.
Same parts and modules inside both.
Unless you want it to run two headphones at once and be able to change the gain, the DPS upgrade seems to be a smarter purchase.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 7
I actually got my GLite and DPS at the same time, but I did spend an hour or so listening to the amp powered by The Biggest Wall Wart On Earth. I used 650s, which are fairly powerhungry, and the most dramatic difference I noticed was that the bass was substantially more present and authoratative with the DPS. One of the reasons I love the GLite is the "wall of blackness" from which sounds emerge. One of my standard test tracks is "Epsilon Phase" from Global Communication's Pentamerous Metamorphosis. There is a deep pad tone in that track that like it is originating several feet outside of of the headphones. Using my 650s, I found this effect significantly more pronounced with the DPS, but the BWWOE. I did not use my 590s with the GLite when it was powered by the wall wart, and in retrospective, maybe I should have. I find the 590s are even better at that trick than the 650s.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 7
From chatting with Headamp they recommended to me that unless I want the additional inputs, outputs, upgradability, preamp and gain switch (and maybe slightly better pentiometer??) that the GL + DPS was the way to go since I already have a GL. Sonically the combo should be "very, very close" to the GS-1.

Personally I prefer the desktop footprint of the combo over the GS-1 as I don't really room for another large component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back