Question for former Singlepower owners: What amp are you using now?
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #31 of 63
Bolder Cable in Colorado

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #32 of 63
Well, that's disheartening.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 63

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know why either but most people never seem to have problems with the sound of his amp.  I'm waiting for a SDS-XLR to show up for 2k and buy it.  I doubt that will ever happen given most paid over 6.5k for them.  I believe most SP amp owners should get their amps check out, and make sure it is safe for operation.   

I sold my Balanced Supra/Extreme tons of tubes and adapters, it was gone through by Kevin Gilmore and all I got $1200.00 it sounded great and worked super... Where were you with that $2000.00 LOL..

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499374/fs-again-singlepower-balanced-extreme

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #34 of 63
Nov 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #35 of 63
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #36 of 63
Well isn't that balanced extreme 6080 output tube based, while a real Supra is 6sn7 output tube based?  And very different circuits and different sounding?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 63

Quote:
Well isn't that balanced extreme 6080 output tube based, while a real Supra is 6sn7 output tube based?  And very different circuits and different sounding?

I don't think any two supra's had the same circuits.. It had 2 power transformers,, Blackgate output caps. all the good stuff.. The difference was the output tubes.. PS my amp said Supra,, Not Extreme.. I ordered a "Balanced Supra",, it came with 2399 tubes.. Thats what was so screwed up about Mikhail... any way a SDS not balanced can't be worth too much more than I got for my amp ,, can it?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #38 of 63

Quote:
as i recall, you had a particularly nice sounding amp! i enjoyed hearing it at the ny meet a few yrs ago.
i probably should have bought it from you.....

The guy who has it now loves it!!! (and I have a friend for life) I also sold him a set of PS 1000 and loaned him an adapter while Drew was finishing up the Grado extension cable for him.. He was such a nice guy he sent the adapter back with  $20.00 cash,, and a hand written note that said have a couple of drinks on me...Thanks!!

It was so refreshing in this day of quibbling over pay pal fees and shipping etc.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #39 of 63
Mark,

Only an actual SDS-XLR will do for me.  Supra XLR doesn't count.
biggrin.gif

BDH,

Sorry to hear for what you have to go through with that Concerto amp. Hope you got your amp back in a good working condition soon.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #40 of 63
All in fun,,,,,

I can't believe you would buy another SDS XLR  because I can guarantee you Mikhail couldn't tell you the difference (hardware wise) between a  Normal Supra XLR and a SDS XLR.. I bet the only difference that was consistent was the HUGE caps..and they don't do anything to improve the sound..

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #41 of 63

Quote:
All in fun,,,,,

I can't believe you would buy another SDS XLR  because I can guarantee you Mikhail couldn't tell you the difference (hardware wise) between a  Normal Supra XLR and a SDS XLR.. I bet the only difference that was consistent was the HUGE caps..and they don't do anything to improve the sound..

There was the better looking chassis too right? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #42 of 63
Well, I finally placed my order for a WA22 last night.  I couldn't justify ponying up $4K for the Balancing Act, especially now that I am earning close to nothing on my savings. Also I have a pretty large stock of Bendix 6080s that I bought from Mikhail, which I can use as output tubes on the WA22.  So that will save on tube costs.

Now I have to figure out where to buy a matched pair of Chelmer CV181s/Mullard ECC32s, as this is the driver tube I liked most in the Extreme and assume will like most in the WA22...but the only place I see matched pairs of these tubes is on ebay in the UK, where the prices are astronomical.  Anyone have any suggestions on where else to find these tubes? 

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #43 of 63
I'm still using my SDS-XLR. After the Power Supply failed I sent it to Paul from ProDigital in PA and he fixed it and even commented on what a superbly built amp it was and that he couldn't even think of any mods or upgrades to do on it that could make it better. He also assured me that the problem wouldn't crop up again. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that got a well-built SP. I've heard quite a few other amps over the years (at meets) but I've yet to encounter one that would make me consider selling the SDS-XLR for even a glimmer of a second. That might change if I get to audition the Apex Pinnacle...

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #44 of 63

Quote:
Well, I finally placed my order for a WA22 last night.  I couldn't justify ponying up $4K for the Balancing Act, especially now that I am earning close to nothing on my savings. Also I have a pretty large stock of Bendix 6080s that I bought from Mikhail, which I can use as output tubes on the WA22.  So that will save on tube costs.

Now I have to figure out where to buy a matched pair of Chelmer CV181s/Mullard ECC32s, as this is the driver tube I liked most in the Extreme and assume will like most in the WA22...but the only place I see matched pairs of these tubes is on ebay in the UK, where the prices are astronomical.  Anyone have any suggestions on where else to find these tubes? 

With the KR PX4 tubes I have $5000.00 in the Balancing act.. The WA22 is a great amp. I think/my opinion.. the sound was very close to my Balancing act. I have said before I could have very easily lived with the WA22... you might also try the Tung Sol 6SN7GT Round plate, black glass $150.00 each if you watch e bay...

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 63
The few places I see ral CV181's/ECC32's, the price seems to be .$500 a pair or more, these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back