Question for ART DI/O owners
Nov 8, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

recephasan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I placed an order for the DI/O today and it's due to arrive sometime next week. In the meantime, I'd like to get the cables and other parts I need to get started. I know there are loads of stuff I can use but

what is the bare minimum I need to use it with my Sony NS500V?

Also, what are the few parts/mods I can do by myself so it sounds a little better (I can solder and all, but have not built an amp so far).

I don't want to get carried away but also would like to hear what it's capable of.

Thank you in advance

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, you're going to need a digital coax cable from the ns500V to the art. Personally, I'd just use a plain video RCA cable for now.

Secondly, you're going to need either
1) Adapters for the 1/4 to RCA, so you can use RCA cables
or

2) Cables that come terminated 1/4 at one end, RCA at the other. www.boldercables.com

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 7
A power supply upgrade is an easy first step to modding it. The one made by Stancor (part # STA-5790) is often used. This is just a matter of using a different wall-wart, so there is virtually no work involved. I'm told this makes a noticable difference.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks

What's the story with the 75 Ohm terminator on the Digital Out? Do I need it?

How about the tube? Should I remove it?

Questions, questions...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 7
When you say digital terminator, do you mean a cap of sorts for the digital out? I'd say sure, if only to protect it. . .

Some say that the art sounds a bit better without the tube, though only remove it if you're not going to be using the ADC part of the art. Although I've never personally listened to/had one. . .

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 7
You're gonna love it! I love mine anyway. I bought the Stancor power supply and removed the tube. I can't say if either made a difference, since I did them simultaneously and relatively soon after I got it. Do a search on DIO mods and there's plenty out there.

It's made a big difference to what I'm hearing. Enjoy!

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 7
Terminators are somewhat debated. Some people say they help. Some people say they harm. Some people say there's no difference and it's a scam. Some people think we've already lost the war against the machines.

I sent my ART DI/O to Bolder for upgrades and also purchased his custom PSU. For a DAC at around $500, it's not bad at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back