Question for all Singlepower amp owners.
Apr 18, 2004 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

meech

500+ Head-Fier
This question is for all Singlepower amp owners.

Do the Singlepower amps change their sound after burn-in? It seems that everyone has that 'WOW' feeling after the intial listen. Usually, amps take on a slightly different sound after a month or so and I was wondering if the burn-in sound is as good as the initail sound.

Apr 18, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Mine got better. The huge caps take a while to burn in. My amp was really nice when it arrived(great extention in both directions, tons of detail, and sweet midrange). It was brighter sounding than it is now though, and not so full either. Not that it was thin or bright, it just got better after a while. After a few hundred hours everything really was smoother, fuller, and more musical. The way the different freq. blend together got much better.
The Maestro uses different power caps than my SDS so I don't know how long they will take. I would think if the sound when you first get yours is a little on the bright side...dont worry it will go away and the overall sound will get more body to it.
This is my amp. Depending on the internal parts and power caps yours might be different.

Apr 18, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 7
I think things changed but I've been changing so many things in my system since I got the PPX3 I find it hard to really pin down some of the changes to anything specific like break-in. That said I think I'm going to get a new black chassis PPX3 with some upgrades soon. My system shouldn't change much this time around so I should be better able to hear the changes that occur with break-in.

Apr 18, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 7
My ppx3 was a little closed in for the first week or so. Then it gradually opened up to where it sounds nicely balanced. This could be the amp or tubes; maybe both. The mpx3 has an airier more alive character than my other amps, but bright isnt the right word.The mpx3 did change for the better by simply putting in a nos driver tube. The amp is surely not broken in but already it sounds flawless. The brighter character is now less evident, yet the amp retains enough of this character to seem transparent, open and neutral. I need to stress the mpx3 doesnt sound bright it has a more open and revealing presentation.

Apr 18, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
Do the Singlepower amps change their sound after burn-in? It seems that everyone has that 'WOW' feeling after the intial listen. Usually, amps take on a slightly different sound after a month or so and I was wondering if the burn-in sound is as good as the initail sound.

I think the others have pretty much said it. The Singlepower amps are good right out of the box, and burn-in makes them better. Once the big power caps form, there's an increased sense of refinement, with no loss in dynamic power.

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
This question is for all Singlepower amp owners.

Well my experiences thus far have been with the M audio Audiophile sound card and the Larocco PPA.

The M-audio was a huge let down when i slapped it in my PC and fired it up. The sound was harsh. Robotic almost. I was like What? However 100s of hours and weeks later that tonal harshness has gone. Its still nowhere near as good as a conventional amp but hey it does a fine job of sound amplification from my PC rig. Currently its en route to Justin at headamp.com for op-amp upgrade.

The Larocco PPA on the other hand was fantastic from the moment i plugged it in. There was 10 hrs burn on it already i was told but again about 100 hrs into burn and sound sonics have improved. Also the sound i find becomes non-fatiguing which is very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back