Question: cable to connect iPod to portable headphone amp?
Apr 14, 2004 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jonathan Griffin

100+ Head-Fier
Can anybody tell me what my best bet is for connecting my 3rd gen iPod to my portable headphone amplifier (preferably without using the dock)? At the moment I've got a SiK Din cable and a short 3.5mm male to male cable. Is there somewhere I could get a cable with a dock connector feeding line out to a male 3.5mm jack?

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Check out Xin's product pages at www.fixup.net -- he is making a right angle mini->mini (male to male) connector for the exact purpose of connecting the Imp/Din cable(s) to portable amps. I think you have to click on the "Cool Stuff" link at the top of the page once you are on his site.

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, you can go with a $5 cheapie from Rat Shack, or you can pay $20-$30 for a really good one that's made with high quality parts and will fit wherever you want it pefectly.

I bought mine from JMT and would recommend him without hesitation. He was quick and the IC is perfect (and they look cooler than most
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Apr 15, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I've got a cheapie mini-to-mini at the moment, and I'll probably buy a decent Oehlbach from Meier-Audio (being based in Europe), but I was really hoping for a one-cable solution, for both convenience and sound quality. Is there somewhere or somebody who could make one up for me? (I could go DIY as a last resort if the ipod dock connector is available, but I haven't touched a soldering iron in 20 years.)

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Jonathon, get in touch with forum member JMT. He built me a silver mini-mini cable for $30 shipped which, given the current exchange rate, is a very good price. It should fantastic as well, which always a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back