question bout grado headband
Nov 18, 2001 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mr man

Head-Fier
i was reading the grado 60-80 reviews at goodcans.com and i read that the headphones have a metal band with a vinyl covering. they need time to adjust to your head for the headphones to be comfy. so if i share the phones with my brother, would it be uncomfortable for both of us since we will always be adjusting the headband whenever we listen?

if i shouldn't buy the grados (sr60-80), then what do you guys recommend? i'm looking for a open sub-$100 pair and i listen to rock. thanks.

Nov 18, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to Head-Fi, mr man!

Grados have a flexible metal headband. up through the 225, it's covered in vinyl (325 and above it's leather). don't worry about sharing -- they should be fine for both you and your brother.

as for adjusting to your head...they don't. at least in my experience they didn't. you gotta bend them yourself if you're inclined to do so. it's not hard, and it can give you a better fit.

in the sub-$100 category, the grados are hard to beat, especially for open-air, and cheaper associated equipment. They rock with rock! Go for the 80s -- they deliver more bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2001 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to head-Fi, mr man! As far as headband adjustment on Grados goes, unless your brother has a very different head shape or size than yours, it probably won't be necessary to constantly adjust the headband. If you decide not to purchase Grados, you might want to look into the Sony MDR-V6 or 7506 (same headphone, different market). It's a closed design, has a headband that doesn't need adjustment, and has excellent sound for the money. If you listen to music with a good deal of bass, this headphone is hard to beat. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW....just saw Moo's post. I agree.......if you decide on the Grados, go for the SR-80s!

Nov 18, 2001 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Just be careful. If you decide on bending a Grado headband, you will notice it isn't easy to return it to its original shape if you so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back