Question.. Astro A40s
Oct 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Degree

100+ Head-Fier
I have Astro A40s which costs around $300 that I bought over the summer since I needed a gaming headset (idk why..)
and I want to know if is on par with I guess you can say "dedicated headphones" since the A40s are made for gaming.

Will I get the same/worse/better results compared to the ATH-M50s? Since the A40s are again around $300

Confusing question but I hope some people understand what I'm trying to say

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 13
You can do better for the price than the Astros. Regading the M50's they are a fun headphone to listen to, but for gaming they are not good. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
You can do better for the price than the Astros. Regading the M50's they are a fun headphone to listen to, but for gaming they are not good. 

I kinda knew some people wouldn't get what I'm trying to say.
Yea I game which is why I got the A40s for both my xbox and laptop.
But I wanted to know if the M50s performs better because its made for music and not gaming. + Due to the fact that the A40s are that expensive I would think it does perform better even in terms of music, but this is why I made this thread to know if I should get the M50s for music, I already have the A40s

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 13
Ahhhhh...yes! they do well on most music genres. Which musical tastes you have? 

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 13
I would think that at least $100 of the A40's cost is due to the bundled Mixamp. (You DID get a Mixamp with the headset for your $300, right?) That would make the A40 more of a $200 headset, if that.

Do you plan on using other headphones with that same Mixamp, by any chance, or will these be fed by something different?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes I bundled with the mixamp.

And well I'm planing on it being a portable and listening through my ipodtouch/iphone, but thats not the point right now, I just wanted to know if the A40s performed better/good/worse then the M50s

I listen to pop/dubstep/electronic

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Yes I bundled with the mixamp.

And well I'm planing on it being a portable and listening through my ipodtouch/iphone, but thats not the point right now, I just wanted to know if the A40s performed better/good/worse then the M50s

I listen to pop/dubstep/electronic

Absolutely, they blow the Astros out of the water for music listening. With the genres you like they sound perfect. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 13
You'll have to buy an M50 and give us the low-down yourself, as almost nobody here has the A40 because it has the stigma of being a "gaming headphone" in other words "overpriced crap."

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 13
I actually own both of those headphones. I cant imagine using my Astros for music other than through the xbox while gaming much less in a portable manner. Its not a close competition between the two, the M50's surpass the Astros by millions of miles for music. Go out and get a dedicated set for your music and let the Astros do their thing. There are better options than the Astros for gaming even though.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Suggest OP looks at this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone#post_7208658

Users who are viewing this thread

Back