Question about using stereo amp as mono amp
Apr 14, 2020 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dotashope

100+ Head-Fier
This is a really dumb question, can I bridge any stereo amps? If so does it cause any harm to the amp or headphone. I'm curious about monoblocks and since the only available is Questyle which is 2k a pair(I'm just gonna skip the 15k Woo Audio). If it's possible then I can just plug LL to one amp and RR to another(maybe just L and R for a pair of stereo amps)? Thanks.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 14
You can do bi-wiring, if supported by the speaker amplifier or receiver.
The speakers would need to come with separate inputs for the highs (tweeter) and the lows (woofer).

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 14
You can do bi-wiring, if supported by the speaker amplifier or receiver.
The speakers would need to come with separate inputs for the highs (tweeter) and the lows (woofer).
Thanks a lot! I'm just wondering about the possibilities in headphone amp here. So if I use a connector like shown below. The single end to a channel plugged to dac and the dual for the stereo amp. Would the connection damage the amp or headphone?

Attachments

• RCA.jpg
    RCA.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 14
This is a really dumb question, can I bridge any stereo amps?

Does the amp have a bridging toggle like on car audio amps? If it doesn't then do so at your own risk.

If so does it cause any harm to the amp or headphone.

But why. Even if you bridge an amp there are safer ways than buying two amps and have to deal with two volume controls...like just buying a Lyr2 with over 10watts per channel. That's enough to get you hearing damage sitting 2m away from some speakers and a 300ohm load isn't just a 300ohm load, it's a 300ohm load that will get around 2watts per channel or thereabouts with 97dB/1mW sensitivity sitting right outside your ears.

Or if not the Lyr2 there are dual mono amplifiers out there with two separate capacitor power banks if not also transformers per channel, but controlled by the same potentiometer so you still have unity gain.

I'm curious about monoblocks and since the only available is Questyle which is 2k a pair(I'm just gonna skip the 15k Woo Audio). If it's possible then I can just plug LL to one amp and RR to another(maybe just L and R for a pair of stereo amps)? Thanks.

If you just split the L and R signals into two stereo amps and not actually "bridging" the circuit in them that's just like having one amp drive one channel with just half of that amp. This is why car stereo amps have a switch to go into bridge mode and then a specific wiring pattern so that both channels are driving a single transducer, like how Scott Buwalda was so obsessed with symmetry that he mounted three dual monoblock amps to the back of his Altima so they all look alike, one for two tweeters, one for two midrange drivers, one for two midwoofers, and three dual monoblocs bridged to power three subwoofers on the deck. Mostly just so he has a symmetrical layout of amps in the back, instead of three dual monoblocks for his front speakers and then two Class D monoblocs for two subwoofers.

In Gundam terms, you're thinking that it's like the Strike Freedom putting those two beam rifles together for a beam that can punch through a Nazca class or the Seravee Gundam using its GN Bazookas in Burst Mode to mow down a whole fleet but really all you're doing is firing the beam rifles or GN Bazookas separately at a single target.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks a lot! I'm just wondering about the possibilities in headphone amp here. So if I use a connector like shown below. The single end to a channel plugged to dac and the dual for the stereo amp. Would the connection damage the amp or headphone?
Single RCA plug is a mono signal, DAC usually come with 2 RCA outputs (right and left channels, stereo audio).
Assume you would be using a dual RCA jacks to dual RCA jacks cable?

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 14
IE does a solid state single ended headphone amp care which channel it is plugged with
What is the make and model of this single ended head amp?

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 14
Does the amp have a bridging toggle like on car audio amps? If it doesn't then do so at your own risk.

But why. Even if you bridge an amp there are safer ways than buying two amps and have to deal with two volume controls...like just buying a Lyr2 with over 10watts per channel. That's enough to get you hearing damage sitting 2m away from some speakers and a 300ohm load isn't just a 300ohm load, it's a 300ohm load that will get around 2watts per channel or thereabouts with 97dB/1mW sensitivity sitting right outside your ears.

Or if not the Lyr2 there are dual mono amplifiers out there with two separate capacitor power banks if not also transformers per channel, but controlled by the same potentiometer so you still have unity gain.

If you just split the L and R signals into two stereo amps and not actually "bridging" the circuit in them that's just like having one amp drive one channel with just half of that amp. This is why car stereo amps have a switch to go into bridge mode and then a specific wiring pattern so that both channels are driving a single transducer, like how Scott Buwalda was so obsessed with symmetry that he mounted three dual monoblock amps to the back of his Altima so they all look alike, one for two tweeters, one for two midrange drivers, one for two midwoofers, and three dual monoblocs bridged to power three subwoofers on the deck. Mostly just so he has a symmetrical layout of amps in the back, instead of three dual monoblocks for his front speakers and then two Class D monoblocs for two subwoofers.

In Gundam terms, you're thinking that it's like the Strike Freedom putting those two beam rifles together for a beam that can punch through a Nazca class or the Seravee Gundam using its GN Bazookas in Burst Mode to mow down a whole fleet but really all you're doing is firing the beam rifles or GN Bazookas separately at a single target.
So it requires the amp to be bridged or potential damage can be done? I'm not really asking for more power per se, just the possibility of using a SE headphone amp as a monoblock.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 14
I was just thinking about splitting the signal from one channel from dac to both channels on the amp. Say Objective2 by NwAvGuy for example.
Why would your DAC only have a Mono one channel output, does not make sense.
What is the make and model of the DAC?

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Why would your DAC only have a Mono one channel output, does not make sense.
What is the make and model of the DAC?
Sorry I wasn't too clear about it lol. I was just talking about one channel from the dac. So it would be something like the drawing in attached files. Sorry for the crude drawing. The connection would be the Y shaped RCA cables I showed in the previous attachment.

Attachments

• stereo to mono.jpg
    stereo to mono.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Sorry I wasn't too clear about it lol. I was just talking about one channel from the dac. So it would be something like the drawing in attached files. Sorry for the crude drawing. The connection would be the Y shaped RCA cables I showed in the previous attachment.
Ok, each channel (right and left) gets it's own splitter.
That will just cut the strength of the signal going into each of the amplifiers inputs, not something I would do.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 14
So it requires the amp to be bridged or potential damage can be done?

If you wire it up to the drivers like on a bridging-capable amp but it doesn't bridge, probably.

But even if you don't destroy the amp, all you'll end up doing then is use one channel of each amp. And that doesn't necessarily get you any benefits if it was a properly designed amplifier in the first place where isolating left and right channels doesn't really increase the stereo separation beyond what the source material can do nor improve current delivery since a good amp has a good power supply to run both channels. You'll just end up dealing with a fancy balance control, ie, two volume knobs.

I'm not really asking for more power per se, just the possibility of using a SE headphone amp as a monoblock.

Yeah but then...why. This is practically mostly the point of a monobloc amp - a power supply usually designed to run two channels runs a circuit that maximizes that power supply in running only one channel to get more power. Even in a low power scenario like two 12w SET amps much of the idea there is to just get the power and it's simpler to DIY two monoblocks that don't have a preamp circuit (and then run them both with one preamp) than a dual monobloc single chassis amp with a potentiometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back