Question about using line out on a desktop amp
Dec 18, 2007 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GuffMorgan

500+ Head-Fier
So I am finally working towards rebuilding my setup. My next headphone purchases will be the HD650 and AD2000 and amps. I am looking at getting the Headroom Desktop with the desktop dac module (and the desktop psu to go with it). I am also looking at getting a Singlepower amp made with 2 inputs and I was curious about something. If I run my PC to the Headroom desktop USB dac, would I then be able to use the lineout on the amp to run to the Singlepower amp as well, or does lineout not work that way?

Also, this is probably answered elsewhere BUT, where does the portable ultra DAC rank in line with the other DAC modules (better than home?)?

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I run my PC to the Headroom desktop USB dac, would I then be able to use the lineout on the amp to run to the Singlepower amp as well, or does lineout not work that way?

It does work that way, but the signal is not the direct out of the internal DAC but rather goes through the output stage. So, it's like having a pre-amp in the chain that does require passing signal through a bit of extra electronics. Purists would have you got direct out from the DAC to the amp, but the Desktop with its integrated DAC won't let you do that.

Quote:

Also, this is probably answered elsewhere BUT, where does the portable ultra DAC rank in line with the other DAC modules (better than home?)?

It's a Max DAC, the best we make. ONly falls short of what you'd hear in a Max due to the power supply. If you get a Desktop Power Supply you'd pretty much be at Max level.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 3
Okay cool, that answers my questions perfectly, thanks Tyll!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back