Question: About tubes.
Nov 19, 2002 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hi. on my mg head, the right el84 glows a little more than the left one. ...i'm using Ei Elites, but if i recall correctly, the stock tubes also did the same thing. the right was a little bit brighter.

i don't hear any difference between the two channels yet (just got my amp back from modifications... only listened for 1 hour.) ...so... my question is:

Does one tube glowing more than the other mean anything?

thanks

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

thanks

Yes, you obsess far, far too much over your tubes!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

thanks

It shouldn't. There are individual differences in tube construction that might cause that. There are also other differences. Some small signal tubes, such as 12AT7's, flash on startup. I've had one member of a pair do that while the other didn't. It didn't affect performance in any way. These are primarily hand made, not machine made. Someone soldered the parts together. So, there's going to be a lot of variance between tubes, and even more variance if you get tubes from different batches.

Come to think of it, I've rarely seen a set of tubes in which all glowed equally.

Nov 20, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Just for curiosity's sake, you could always put the right tube in the left socket and the left tube in the right socket and see if the same tube glows brighter. Also try it with your stock output tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back