Question about Triple.Fi 10 Build Quality
Nov 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

vinnievidi

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of UE Triple.fi 10, which should be arriving tomorrow morning. I was excited to receive them but a friend of mine just said that their build quality has gone down since Logitech took over UE.

In anticipation of possibly returning them, I ordered a pair of Senn. IE7. I don't know which one I will end up keeping.

I did notice that Logitech reduced the warranty from 2 years to 1. To me, for a $300 set of IEMs, that move seemed pretty cheap; especially when most of the competition has 2 year warranties. I also saw that earphonesolutions.com is no longer selling the TF10 and is offering a credit towards different models to those who purchased them.

Does anyone know if there is truth to the above claim about the UE build quality, or if it's just a bias against Logitech (as they are not known for high-end audio)?

I tried to look it up on the forums but there doesn't seem to be much debate about this. Is it not an issue?

Thanks a lot!

Vinnie

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 57
Highly doubt it. People just really ****ing hate Logitech
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 57
Thanks for the reply--that's about what I was thinking. Though it was a bit strange to read that they are no longer covering the cables. But, at least they are replaceable.

I guess it will come down to sound and comfort between the two. (YIKES, I hope that I don't end up keeping both)

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 57
TF10 is an older model and you can still replace the cables so you should be fine. It's the newer models that seem to have a poorer build quality with no replaceable cables (I've experienced that first-hand with the super.fi 5 (v2) ).

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 57
No prob - I definitely understand why many would think the build of UE headphones would plummet after the Logitech takeover, but again, it's more than likely that that general dislike that people have for Logitech that started the rumor. Them not covering cables does indeed suck (so does the one year warranty), but yeah, at least they're readily replaceable. Just got a pair of TF10s myself recently... they seem quite sturdy in build, so I'm not too concerned with them breaking under everyday use... and I do admittedly abuse my gear a bit more than I should.

Hm, the Senns would probably be more comfy for most... the TF10 is a bit on the bulky side and has a reputation for not fitting in some ears. Hope you'll fit them well / enjoy them as much as I do!

EDIT: ^ Ahh, that could be it. In that case, I'm thankful for choosing an older UE model, but the again, it was the only UE I've ever considered getting.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 57
Good point about the model. I didn't think about the production aspect. I wonder if they just don't cover the cables anymore since cables and tips can be a source of repeat revenue.

Now that this is cleared up (as far as I am concerned), I am really curious about which one I will end up with!

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 57
I like Logitech a lot as a PC perpetuals company. I can't say how useful they are owning UE though. I really have no clue what goals they have for the products. I think they just want to own/manufacture good products, either building their own or buying out someone.

Life will always depend on how well/poorly you take care of the product. It's a relatively fragile plastic material (not a ton of flex), glued construction (can chemically break down with age), and people do complain of the copper wire in the wiring (to shape around the ear) breaking and eventually causing a short/damage in the wiring. It really depends on how you treat them overall. They could last 1 month or 5 years. This really goes for any brand/model of earphone. Some will just take a little more abuse.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 57
I've had mine for nearly three years and the only damage they've suffered is a slight wear on the paint job on one side. I've gone through a few cables (old and new) but aside from that there's never been a problem.

As I say though, I got them a while ago, pre-Logitech takeover so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 57
Bought my TF.10vi's mid Sept and yesterday the sound starts cutting out on the left phone (although I suspect the thin wirey cable is to blame).

Needless to say, they are being sent back tomorrow for a refund and I will probably go back to IE8's where the build quality is flawless compared to the UE's.

After spending £225 I can't believe the UE's have broke within 2 months (regardless of it being only the cable that has developed the fault).

Shocking stuff.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 57
mine also broke, which was kind of good becuase i was removing my tip mod when the nuzzle broke, this lead to me selling NIB 2nd hand TF10P insted of used ones,

the UE TF10P has 2 major weak points,

the first one being the cable socket, it has a tendency to come loose when playing with it too much, and i consider the UE universal cable to be one of the heaviest and hardest cables found on a IEM today contributes to the problem, the cabling to the crossover are two very thin wires which while they do have some manuvering space when it comes to lenght, do suffer due to the force needed to disconnect the UE cable and the force exerted on socket due to the weight and hardness of the cable

the 2nd main problem is the nuzzle, the standart UE tips which come with the phone are... less then desirable, that means that most UE TF Pro users tend to use 3rd party pieces from shure, sennhaiser, sony etc... etc..., which dont fit exactly right, leading to stress on this weak point,

so my advice to any Triple.fi pro user ?

change to 3rd party cables immidiatly and be VERY careful when replacing tips, especialy if you do something crazy like the shure olive mod,
and remember that the pins on the westone cable are slightly thicker, meaning 2 things, 1) the UE cable will be loose afterwards 2) good probobility of warranty loss,

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 57
Awwan on eBay also sell good quality UE replacement cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back