Question About The Imod...
Jun 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, I didn't know for sure in wich forum to drop the question so I posted it here. If it's the wrong place, feel free to move this mods.

I'll post a part of the explanation on the Imod from Redwines site and after that I'll ask my questions.

"Even if you use the very best iPod cable with your stock iPod, you are still not avoiding the serious degradation of sound quality that occurs after the internal DAC. This degradation from the cumulative effects of the following stock components that are directly in the line-out signal path and that were NOT optimized for audiophile use:

1: The low quality stock SMT coupling caps after the internal Wolfson (before the stock opamp)

2: Opamp output stage

3: The low quality stock SMT coupling caps after the opamp output stage

4: The minuscule circuit board traces that carries the analog line-out signal

5: SMD resistors and inductors directly in the signal path

6; The signal path inside the stock iPod dock, which contains: the dock connector plug, a very cheap ribbon cable, more minuscule pcb traces, SMD resistors, and finally the line out jack."

I get the first 5 parts and if I am not mistaken it applies when using the lineout on top of the ipod.
I use the dock-line out and connect it with an amp. So that way you also avoid the bad parts in the ipod itself right?? Or does point 6 mean there are still bad parts in the dock lineout that will have a bad influence on the soundqual? Maybe stupid questions but I am a little confused here.
And considering the fact I already use the docklineout to connect it to my amp would it make a real big difference when compared to an imodded one or is it a bit of a mumbojumbo?? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I believe you are understanding it correctly. Currently I have two 4th Gen 60 GB iPod Photos. One has the iMod and the other is stock. Even though I use an AL0 Six Shooter dock line out the iMod sounds much better.

I find that the bass is tighter and with more impact. There is more separation, clarity and detail. The highs have more sparkle and IMO extend higher. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back