Question About SPDIF and Choosing a DAC/Amp Under $150- D03k + Magni 2 or E07k
May 31, 2015 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have a Lenovo Y40-70, which has an SPDIF output. I know nothing about SPDIF, and wasn't sure where to look. I'm interested in the FiiO D03k, which I'd pair up with a Schiit Magni 2. My first question is, will my SPDIF out work with this? What cables or converters do I need?

Next, is the D03k and Magni (2 if possible) a good pair, if anyone has both? Are there any faults I should know with either? 

Should I go with the E07k to save? I only have an SR80i I'll be using these with. I need a DAC for my computer and an amp for my turntable and CD player. The FiiO E07k has a line in and functions as a DAC, helping me save $40. I fear though that it is outdated/the D03k and Magni 2 are worth the extra $40. I won't really need portability, so both are fine options.

I've never purchased a DAC or amp, and have little experience with them; apologies for any missing information. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Thanks for reading and for any responses.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 8
The D03K should work fine. You'll have to check your computer manual. Laptops often need the mini optical connector like you see here: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-27016-Velocity-Toslink-Optical/dp/B0002JFN1A/

Grados are not terrible difficult to drive. What is your overall budget?

Also, if you get a decent DAC, not sure there's much point in using your CD player since you could use the CD player in your computer instead, or even rip your CD's to your computer.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 8
  I have a Lenovo Y40-70, which has an SPDIF output. I know nothing about SPDIF, and wasn't sure where to look. I'm interested in the FiiO D03k, which I'd pair up with a Schiit Magni 2. My first question is, will my SPDIF out work with this? What cables or converters do I need?
Next, is the D03k and Magni (2 if possible) a good pair, if anyone has both? Are there any faults I should know with either? 
Should I go with the E07k to save? I only have an SR80i I'll be using these with. I need a DAC for my computer and an amp for my turntable and CD player. The FiiO E07k has a line in and functions as a DAC, helping me save $40. I fear though that it is outdated/the D03k and Magni 2 are worth the extra $40. I won't really need portability, so both are fine options.
I've never purchased a DAC or amp, and have little experience with them; apologies for any missing information. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Thanks for reading and for any responses.

Does the CD player come with any digital outputs (USB, optical, coaxial)?
Make and model of the CD player?

You might consider getting a USB DAC, maybe something from Hifimediy ($29-$57)
The DAC chips used in the Hifimediy DAC should be at least a little better then the D03K DAC chip
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

A FiiO E11K ($60) can easily drive the 32-Ohm SR80i.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 8

Does the CD player come with any digital outputs (USB, optical, coaxial)?
Make and model of the CD player?

You might consider getting a USB DAC, maybe something from Hifimediy ($29-$57)
The DAC chips used in the Hifimediy DAC should be at least a little better then the D03K DAC chip
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

A FiiO E11K ($60) can easily drive the 32-Ohm SR80i.

The CD player only has an analog line out, it's an Optimus CD3450. I really won't be using it often.

I may go for the Sabre Tiny. However, I did want to use my SPDIF out so as not to waste a USB port (three on my laptop, one is always taken up) but it's not a big deal, as I don't often use all three.

The E11k is what I'll likely go with. I'd looked at many times before, and as much as I wanted a true desktop amp, I would like to save money and there's no reason to spend the extra $40. 

I'm trying to decide at the moment between Sabre Tiny or D03k as my DAC, and I'm pretty much set on the amp. I'll do some more research and then I'll choose; thanks for your help!

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 8
The D03K should work fine. You'll have to check your computer manual. Laptops often need the mini optical connector like you see here: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-27016-Velocity-Toslink-Optical/dp/B0002JFN1A/
Grados are not terrible difficult to drive. What is your overall budget?
Also, if you get a decent DAC, not sure there's much point in using your CD player since you could use the CD player in your computer instead, or even rip your CD's to your computer.

My overall budget is around $150, but I'd prefer to not spend over $100. You're correct about my CD player, I likely won't use it often, but my main reason for getting an amp is for my turntable and laptop. 

My laptop would need that connector, as I thought; thanks for the link.

I most often listen from my X1 > Grado SR80i, but I'd like to listen from my laptop and turntable more often than I do, most especially my turntable.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 8
It's tough to know what to tell you since you need a DAC, headphone amp, and someway to hook your turntable in as a source. And I forgot to ask, do you already have a phono stage with your turntable?

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
It's tough to know what to tell you since you need a DAC, headphone amp, and someway to hook your turntable in as a source. And I forgot to ask, do you already have a phono stage with your turntable?

I've got the AT-LP60USB, has a built-in phono stage. Just have to plug it into my amp using RCA cables (and I have an RCA-3.5 cable for line in on amps). The E11k and HiFimeDIY Tiny is what I'm focused on now, like the price and specs. I'm also interested in the FiiO E07k and the Topping NX2, which are all-in-one devices with line ins, allowing me to have one device for both my DAC and amp.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 8
If your turntable is there with your computer, definitely makes since to me you would not want to have to plug and unplug things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back