Question about selling (I know this is not the selling thread)
Aug 8, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

a1joe507

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! I do not yet have 50 posts, and therefore cannot sell anything via head-fi. I of course can purchase items though. Ha! :)

I need to get rid of some equipment (I will not name it here so that this wont be a contrived selling post!) soon. Is it against head-fi's rules if I posted the things on ebay and then left a thread here pointing people to that direction? I completely understand if it is, but wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 25
I don't see that being a problem. You could also register at Audiogon, and sell items there.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 25
I don't think we have a rule against that sort of action.
But we certainly don't like users put up an item for sale/auction on eBay (or other sites), and then announce it here. Especially as a workaround for the FS forum restrictions.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1joe507 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all! I do not yet have 50 posts, and therefore cannot sell anything via head-fi. I of course can purchase items though. Ha! :)

I need to get rid of some equipment (I will not name it here so that this wont be a contrived selling post!) soon. Is it against head-fi's rules if I posted the things on ebay and then left a thread here pointing people to that direction? I completely understand if it is, but wasn't sure.

Thanks!

I don't like that idea at all. The whole purpose of being allowed to buy and sell here is that members benefit. Though you say you're not trying to go against head-fi rules, you're still asking how to get around them rather than asking yourself the purpose for having those rules in the first place. Establish yourself as a member, become a part of the community, even if it's just by asking questions and/or getting to know folks. One month and 50 posts is not unreasonable by any stretch. Posting an ebay link would probably get deleted, and even if not, it would be a sleazy move.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1joe507 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it against head-fi's rules if I posted the things on ebay and then left a thread here pointing people to that direction?

i think it would be frowned upon.

ebay is ebay. head-fi is head-fi. if you want to sell here, not too hard to meet the requirements.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 25
Yeah, but in the course of reading around Head-Fi and seeing a post like "I want to get some Blahblahblah MkIII's", would it be unreasonable if he posted that he had some for sale on Ebay? That's ok, right? Or would that offer be better made via a PM to the person interested in buying? I see what y'all are saying about trying to skirt the FS rules, but...

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 25
Golden Monkey. Sending PM to a member with an WTB thread, pointing him/her towards an eBay auction is fine imo. But replying to the WTB thread is not...

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 25
Yeah, that makes sense.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 25
Yeah, no kidding...he even has a couple of positive feedbacks as a buyer...

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For someone who has been on the forum for over a year, this rule really shouldn't apply. Maybe pm Jude and ask to have this limit of yours revoked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, no kidding...he even has a couple of positive feedbacks as a buyer...

Well thank you very much for the benefit of the doubt! Although tempted, I don't think that I would PM Jude to ask about this as the rule needs to be a general rule without exceptions for it to be effective. That I can respect. Even if I am sneering at it at the same time. :)

I probably wont be sneering once I get 50 posts! At that point, I'll probably be happy that the rule exists. :)

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 25
Just contribute to the discussions around here and you will quite soon reach the required 50 posts.
We have all been there some day... Joined a new forum and started from scratch with 0 posts that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back