question about record needles
Oct 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I believe increased distortion is one of the prime signs. The author of this article makes a good point in recommending to replace the stylus if there is any doubt.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to tell if your record needle needs replacement aside from age? I am still somewhat of a vinyl newb and I dont want to cause any damage by using a needle that is past due.

Short of just chucking the thing. You could take it to a good audio store that has a microscope. Otherwise, don't take the chance in destroying your recordings. One play is all that that it takes.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Yep, replace if in doubt.

Which is why I opted for a relatively inexpensive cart - the Denon DL103. It has great performance but can be easily replaced whenever necessary and I don't have to agonize over a $1,000 needle.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 5
It is a vinyl lover's nightmere. I had my needles damaged a few times (children; moving...)and it wasn't a good feeling. It doesn't help that I'm into moving coil cartridges which makes it more of a pain. I looked into getting my Goldring retipped and found out that it would cost over $500. I ended up buying a new cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back