question about px100 vs px200 (help)
May 22, 2005 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

techie

New Head-Fier
I have senn px100 and just bought px200...compared with px200, why is px100 sound less powerful?is it normal?I am using ipod photo as my player...do I need amp using this kind of headphones?please help...thanx

May 22, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 22
Do you listen in a loud enviroment? If so than it could be that you need to turn up the volume more with the PX100 to drown out the background noise. Because the PX200 isolates the background noise will be blocked out to some extent and you won't need to drown it our with the music so you don't have to turn the volume up that loud.

May 22, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 22
nope, i listen in my room...the different is very noticeable...for example,when i listening a song using px100 i have to crank the volume to 100% and when using px200, i think at 80% the volume is same with px100 at 100%...is it normal?or my px100 is defect?

May 22, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
nope, i listen in my room...the different is very noticeable...for example,when i listening a song using px100 i have to crank the volume to 100% and when using px200, i think at 80% the volume is same with px100 at 100%...is it normal?or my px100 is defect?

i've never compared px100 and px200 directly, but what you need to realize is that every different model of headphone will have different impedances. All that means is that some models of headphone require more energy to drive them.

So it's not that the px100's are less powerful, it's just that (from what you're telling us), they are higher impedance phones than the px200, and take a little more energy to drive them. this is not a bad thing at all, it's just that they're designed that way, and to get the sound the engineers wanted, they needed to design the phone a certain way. The only issue that may come up is that if you're using a low powered source like an ipod, you may find maximum volume is not enough. if that is the case, an amp is an option.

however, from my memory, the px100 from an ipod mini was plenty loud for me. you dont have the volume limiter turned on in your ipod, do you?

May 22, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 22
IIRC the PX100 and PX200 have the same impedence (32 ohms).

What you're most likely experiencing is the difference in what the headphones accentuate. The PX200's are a lot more up front sounding and have strong mids. On the other hand, the PX100's have more recessed mids making them sound not as loud.

Either way though, unless you have a VERY weak source 100% (or even 80% volume is WAY loud). Turn the volume down and save your hearing man!

May 23, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 22
From the senn site:

PX100 imp 32 ohm, SPL 114 dB
PX200 imp 32 ohm, SPL 115 dB

I don't know if 1dB makes much of a difference... Sounds like you either listen way too loud or your ipod has a very low volume output? Are you from Europe?

May 23, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 22
@ocean enthusiast
how can i check if the volume limiter is on/off?

@jesper
is it possible that my ipod that have been defected?how can i know that?because using px100 the volume is just enough at 100% and i like to hear music a slightly louder than enough...hahaha...
last night i just opened my stock ipod bud n tested them. i found that the original bud are also louder (not better) than px100 at the same volume level...

May 23, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silfer
From the senn site:

PX100 imp 32 ohm, SPL 114 dB
PX200 imp 32 ohm, SPL 115 dB

I don't know if 1dB makes much of a difference... Sounds like you either listen way too loud or your ipod has a very low volume output? Are you from Europe?

nope,im from indonesia...is it make any difference with the ipod?
3000smile.gif

May 23, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

nope,im from indonesia...is it make any difference with the ipod?
3000smile.gif

Yes it does. The European ipods (and other portable audio devices) have a lower volume due to French laws. So unless you bought one from somehere in Europe or a European model yours doesn't have a volume limit.
The ipod should be loud enough to drive the PX100/200 with ease. How loud do you listen? 'Normal' volume levels are about as loud as normal conversation.

May 23, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 22
if "normal" is about same level as normal conversation, i usually play at 60% louder than normal...hehehe....

I think my ipod is not european version because i bought it in a local store...and theres no volume limit options...

then maybe the conclusion is that px100 sound is less powerfull than px200 or stock ipod buds?

May 23, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

if "normal" is about same level as normal conversation, i usually play at 60% louder than normal...hehehe....

Just a friendly warning. If you listen that loud your hearing will be damaged. Starting with tinnitus, that's a constant ringing in your ears. Which can get so bad that it can drive you crazy. There is no cure and the damage is mostly permanent.

I am serious and don't mean to spoil your fun. But think about it. Your hearing is a valueble thing, be sensable with it. You need your ears to last you a lifetime.

May 24, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 22
Honest opinion? I think you're just trying to listen too loud. Turn the volume down some and let your ears adjust to the lower volume. When you don't lose your hearing, you'll be happy you took this advice.

May 24, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 22
I've got them both, and I've A/B'd them before. All I remember is the 100's sound a lot better. I don't recal one being louder than the other.

Also, I'm wondering what's going on if you're able to turn up your ipod to 100% volume. I don't think I've ever had a piece of gear that I've been able to turn all the way up without it distorting at some point. I mean, I'm big on loud myself... I've got a HUGE PA, I play in a pretty damn loud band, I go to very loud shows, and I play drums without ear protection all the time.... some of these are almost 120db environments, but with my Zen Xtra at about 50-60% it's plenty loud. If I were at 100%, the players amp would be cliping, my headphones would be melting, and my vision would be blurring.

Maybe you're already deaf and you don't know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back