Question about PS4 and Mixamp Pro
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lukes

New Head-Fier
Hello, guys. I've been lurking the forums a little bit, trying to learn something. It's a very nice place.

I'm a new owner of a mixamp, which is paired with a Samson SR850 on my PS4, wired at optical, usb, and the "Y" cable. (the mic plug at the "Y" cable is currently unused, until I get my Zalman mic).

The question is regarding this "white noise" that gets more noticeable the higher the volume is.
I wasn't expecting a perfect silence, but I thought it to be less noticeable in quiet scenes and menus.

It's something I can live with, but I was wondering if there's a way to improve it, specially when the dial is at "12 o'clock", it gets really noticeable.

Thanks for any input.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
It could be cause of interference from other devices that are connected next to the mixamp, ive had this problem and still have it to a certain degree. Check if the unit is okay first by plugging it into your laptop via usb away from any other equipment. If its silent, you might have to unplug/turn off devices you don't use while gaming. If its still noticeable on your laptop, I'd suggest you contact astro for assistance.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 8
I appreciate your input.
Actually it's a background static noise, not interference. I called it "white noise" which perhaps isn't the best definition. (struggling with my english)
It will do it regardless of the source it's plugged, or devices around, and gets more noticeable in silences when the volume pot is by 12 o'clock.
It's like when you turn on the radio and there's no broadcasting. That kind of hissing that you will hear louder as you increase the volume.
I saw this have been mentioned on some threads, but I thought there could be a workaround to make it more quiet.
For example, if the PS4 master volume was a bit higher, I wouldn't need to take the mixamp volume pot to 50%.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 8
  I've read in Mad Lust Envy's thread that the hiss is a common problem with the Mixamp. Note, there are other DACs with worse his.

Right, I came to the conclusion that any analogic amp would hiss (more or less) to certain degree.

Now I've found a "headset sound volume" setting on the PS4, which I couldn't find before. :)
I just took that slider to the max, and now I don't need the mixamp volume pot to go pass 12 o'clock. And right there I barely hear any hissing.

So I guess all is good. The sound fx are amazing, btw. Enjoying it now.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Would like to give some update on this.
As I tested another headphone, the hissing almost vanished even on very high volume. Impedance was the difference.
So, in my opinion, Mixamp Pro may work better with a little higher impedance headphone (maybe 50-60), rather than a SR-850 which is 32ohm.
Even if the mixamp is rated at 32ohms per channel, I notice that Astro A40's are 50ohms, and they get shipped with mixamp pro.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 8
The Astro A40 is actually 48ohms, I use the Sennheiser G4ame One with the mixamp pro and while it sounds incredible I do hear white noise if I turn it up to much, but with normal listening I cant hear it. The question I keep having is Mad Lust Envy guide shows that you should hook up a headphone amp to the mixamp pro output to the headphones. Im using a 50ohm headset so is it really needed? I just want the very best sound quality I can get, Im not really having an issue with the volume of the headset.

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 8
The Astro A40 is actually 48ohms, I use the Sennheiser G4ame One with the mixamp pro and while it sounds incredible I do hear white noise if I turn it up to much, but with normal listening I cant hear it. The question I keep having is Mad Lust Envy guide shows that you should hook up a headphone amp to the mixamp pro output to the headphones. Im using a 50ohm headset so is it really needed? I just want the very best sound quality I can get, Im not really having an issue with the volume of the headset.

I can't remember where I read it maybe his guide. Anyways, someone pointed out that having a nice amp helps the sound stage and something else, sound quality perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back