Question about PL20 driver almost-failure
Nov 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all
smily_headphones1.gif

I say "almost-failure" because it is a very weird situation... At times, the left driver of my PL20 doesn't sound. The driver doesn't seem to be broken, since it sounds perfectly most of the time, and it is not the cable because when it stops sounding you can move the cable around as you wish and you won't get sound (on the other hand, when the driver is working, you can move the cable and the sound doesn't stop).

The plug looks normal, too, with no loose rings, etc.

The problem happens when I use them with my Sansa Clip *and* with my wife's Sansa Clip, so it is not the player either (no other phone fails with any of these players, only the PL20 and only occasionally). But when the problem happens, it is solved by the following procedure (weird thing ahead...): I unplug the PL20 from the Clip, plug it in my laptop, play some music (the left driver works perfectly) and when I plug them back on my Clip the left driver works like a charm!

Moreover, whenever the PL20 doesn't work with the Clip, any other phone I plug on the same Clip works perfectly, only the PL20 fails.

I think that the driver may get "blocked" or something and pluging-in the phones in a more "powerful" source (I would swear that my laptop has in fact less power on earphones than the Clip, but...) somewhat "unblocks" it :???? Another theory is that the driver starts working when it is "warm" :? I don't know.

Has anyone had this problem with the PL20?
Does anybody know what could be happening?

I would like to make sure it is a building problem before contacting FocalPrice, not some kind of known weirdness.

Thanks A LOT!

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 3

Sayajin

100+ Head-Fier
It must be the plug if so. The female plug of Sansa players may fails to make contact with the left channel.
What I can tell, the outer contact of plug on your PL20 is the left channel which somehow won't make contact in your case.

I've had some sort of same problem with neutrik plug and maybe with some older earbud long ago. It usually some very small change in shape or damage that make the trouble.

You could also try use an extension cable or adapter and place it between the two things. By that you perhaps bring the left ear working. Just to find out that I'm right you might got a issue with your plug.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 3

DervishD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Sayajin
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all, thanks A LOT for your reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must be the plug if so. The female plug of Sansa players may fails to make contact with the left channel.
What I can tell, the outer contact of plug on your PL20 is the left channel which somehow won't make contact in your case.

I thought about it, but only these pair of phones fail, any other I've tested worked perfectly, so maybe the little metal dab on the female connector was bent or whatnot. They haven't failed again, which is even more strange :?

If they fail again I'll try with an extension cable just to check. Thanks for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It usually some very small change in shape or damage that make the trouble.

I've noticed that the tip of my PL20 is slightly (and *slightly* is the keyword here) thinner than in other tips I have. Maybe the "normal sized" tips have bent the female connector metal strip and it doesn't make contact at times. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread