Question about pairing an amp with headphones
Jun 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

germanturkey

500+ Head-Fier
We here often throw around words like warm and cold, so i'm wondering if when shopping for an amp, do you pair a warm amp with a warm set of headphones, or do you do warm/cold?  common sense is telling me to get opposites because then it brings out the side of your phones that normally don't get to shine.  but i could be completely wrong too.  thanks for answering my question.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 6
I've heard that most of the time, those people that know what kind of sound they want, would try the best to amplify, or rather, bring out that kind that sound out to the fullest. So one example would be the ESW9 - Voyager pairup for warmth; both are well-known for being warm.

Both ways are fine. However, the only way to really know is to go try yourself...reviews can only do so much =/

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Think of it like this. You have 3 variables, SOURCE, AMP and IEM. Each of these can take 3 values, WARM, NEUTRAL, COLD.
Combine for all possible sounds. eg. you have a neutral source and a warm iem. You decide to buy an amp. If you want to maintain the sound sig you get a neutral amp. If you need something warmer you get a warm amp. If you need something colder (which will in reality be more towards neutral, just colder on your now warm sound sig) you get a cold amp.

Hope I am understood.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 6
ah, makes sense.  so there is no "right" option, just what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back