Question about Objective2 Input
Jul 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Alec246

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.

My first quality headphone hasn't arrived yet, but I can't stop doing research about the next upgrade to go along with it. I'm totally over the first idea of getting a standalone DAC, people who knows a lot more than I do convinced me here ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/619136/hrt-musicstreamer-ii-with-headphones ) that my Titanium HD already has built in a pretty good DAC, and the next upgrade I really need is a Headphone Amp to go along the HD558.

The Objective2 is the one that really got my attention, since it has such high quality and it's among the least expensive of head amps, it's just impressive! There are some stuff I don't like about it though.

The first of them is that I don't want portability, I will use it only for my desktop, so the battery compartment really isn't necessary. The other stuff is more serious I think. My Titanium HD has the Headphone output, which if I understand correctly isn't suitable for going into a headphone amp, and there's the Stereo RCA Line Output, which is the one that would go to the Head Amp. The thing is the O2 doesn't have RCA Stereo Input, it has just that Mini stereo plug, probably because it was built thinking about being portable, and not being over a desk.

Does that make it not the right amp for my setup? I really don't like the mini adapter, it doesn't feel as solid as a connection as the RCA does, what do you guys think?

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 31
RCA and 3.5mm are compatible (they're both analog), you can just get an RCA -> 3.5mm adapter.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
And would there be a as good as amp like the O2 but with RCA Input for the money, or is it really the best choice even if I have to use an adapter?

Best choice for the price (my O2 is currently being shipped to me).
Just order a 3.5mm (mini-jack) to RCA (red/white) cable from Monoprice or on Amazon

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 31
A desktop version of the O2 can be built. Inquire with Audio Poutine, he builds desktop versions. I think photos of his desktop O2's can be found at his FB page. http://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine

Here is the desktop version that I built myself:

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:
Wow amazing!! I wouldn't dare make one myself, but if theres people selling them as Desktop Amp, I will sure check it out!

if your wallet hurts looking at them, getting it used is also an option.

But remember, depending on the genres and phone's you have, the O2 by he who shall not be named isn't always perfect choice.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

The first of them is that I don't want portability, I will use it only for my desktop, so the battery compartment really isn't necessary. The other stuff is more serious I think. My Titanium HD has the Headphone output, which if I understand correctly isn't suitable for going into a headphone amp, and there's the Stereo RCA Line Output, which is the one that would go to the Head Amp. The thing is the O2 doesn't have RCA Stereo Input, it has just that Mini stereo plug, probably because it was built thinking about being portable, and not being over a desk.

Does that make it not the right amp for my setup? I really don't like the mini adapter, it doesn't feel as solid as a connection as the RCA does, what do you guys think?

You might want to consider the Fournier HTA-1, available on eBay.  It's in the same price range, isn't portable and has both RCA and a 3.5mm connector.  Here's a link for a review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/494832/review-fournier-hta-1-hybrid-tube-amp-excellent-budget-amp#post_6693891

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
If you can do soldering, try build it yourself a desktop version. You can't go wrong with O2, it is the best for $100-$200 price range.

I will disagree again. I prefer the amp section of the NFB 12.1 for most EDM, jazz and really soulfull genres. The O2 provides a clean sound with objective statistics to back it up for the price. It works well wth the Q701's with classical genres but lacks the musicality and "pump" of other amps in the range.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 31
I don't really like the idea of using a headphone amp with tubes. I already have a Tube Amp for my guitar, and I know the pain that it is, warm it up, use it, let it cool, etc. And then there's the sound signature that chances each time you try a different valve, and it's a pain to find the good ones, import from eBay, etc, etc! For the Guitar there's nothing like a valve amp, but for headphones I don't know, maybe I like the reference flat EQ of a solid state better. But I never tested both to hear which I like the most so maybe I'm talking BS.

I'm looking into the used section of the forum to see what comes up, lots of stuff there! About the Desktop O2, the guy charges 200 dollars for those, ouch... That's too much for my wallet

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
I don't really like the idea of using a headphone amp with tubes. I already have a Tube Amp for my guitar, and I know the pain that it is, warm it up, use it, let it cool, etc. And then there's the sound signature that chances each time you try a different valve, and it's a pain to find the good ones, import from eBay, etc, etc! For the Guitar there's nothing like a valve amp, but for headphones I don't know, maybe I like the reference flat EQ of a solid state better. But I never tested both to hear which I like the most so maybe I'm talking BS.

I'm looking into the used section of the forum to see what comes up, lots of stuff there! About the Desktop O2, the guy charges 200 dollars for those, ouch... That's too much for my wallet

JDS labs does $150 ......and you can just use 3.5mm to RCA if you want or you can buy used for maybe $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back