Question About My M-50's
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MelloDrama

New Head-Fier
I just got my M-50's from Amazon yesterday and I have to say they didn't completely live up to my expectations. I've never owned a nice pair of headphones before but I've always had big subs in my car and for my computer. I'm still burning them in and that might have to do with my opinion on them. I think the mids and highs are crisp but the bass just isn't doing it for me. It feels somewhat absent in songs that bump really hard in my car or on my computer.

They are at about 15 hours of burn in, I'm playing it out of itunes with no equalizer. Should I get a new program for playback? How can I get the most bass out of my M-50's?

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Any specific music preferences?

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Aug 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
so as I think you need to look at IEM's for bass fun.

Hell no...
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Ok two things.

One, headphones will never ever give you the same visceral impact as full sized subwoofers, so if you're expecting the same kick to the chest feeling you'll never get it from the 40mm drivers headphones use.

Second, head-fi mostly deals in the realm of music fidelity, meaning a headphone that gives the most accurate type of bass relative to what actual instruments sound like is desired. Rap and hip-hop are obvious voids of this as they are usually synthesized and the samples a lot take of kick drums are already edited out of propotion anyways. M50 is a studio monitor, so it's supposed to give the most neural and accurate sound possible-- something which your average car subwoofer stricken system is far from. Headphones can't replicate the visceral impact of that but they can certainly replicate the perceived quantity of bass. Something as simple as a 10db boost from 32-64hz will do the trick, or getting a headphone with bloated bass to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back