Question about my gaming setup
Aug 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tikemereso

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

This is a console gaming setup for ps4. I used to own the original AD700 to play halo and loveddddd them. Just recently bought the new ad700x and am waiting for them in the mail. I managed to buy an older mixamp from a guy on craigslist for 50 bucks. I had two questions. I was either going to buy the antlion modmic or the zalman clip on mic, the modmic being much more expensive than the zalman but the modmic looked more legitimate. What would you all recommend? Also, I've read some different things as far as the dolby setting on the mixamp. Some say that I will get better sound from raw stereo, while others say that the dolby setting enhances the sound.
In the past with the ad700s, I didnt have a mixamp to give me surround, but I found the headphones gave me very good positioning even in stereo. So what would you all say?

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 3
I would not recommend adding the Dolby to the sound, you might just want to keep the sound as reference as possible if you know what I mean? But yes the new Modmic is great, but if you do not have enough money to add the modmic, the Zalman will do you good. still good for the money I guess. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 3
My current setup is a PS4, Astro Mixamp Pro 2013, DT990 Pro (250ohms) and a cheap chinese clip-on mic. I had the Zalman mic for a while but I wouldn't recommend it. The clip WILL snap apart eventually. I've not tried the Modmic but it looks well made; certainly a step up from the Zalman. My cheapo mic works great though, so I'm in no rush to try it.

I don't like the Dolby surround. I feel like it's a gimmick. At first I thought that it actually did a good job of giving me positional cues in games, but after a while I came to realize that all it was doing was confusing me. I'd think that things in front are now behind and the other way around. It tends to make all sounds seem as if they are coming from all directions. Once I turned off the Dolby I realized that while the sound doesn't seem as "immersive", being able to figure out locations was much easier.

I'm actually going to try my new Schiit Modi (optical) with my PS4, and then run that into my M-Stage amp. I'll still use the Mixamp for microphone input but that'll pretty much be it. I think I'll lose the ability to control chat volume using the Voice knob on the mixamp, but I'm going to try it anyway. I'm also getting a pair of HE-400s in tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying this setup with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back