Question about file conversion and bit rates
Jan 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
Never sure where this stuff goes, its not exactly computer related specifically anyway here goes...

How close are 448kbps mp3s to lossless files?
When there isn't a CD available, would it be better to DL flac files and convert to alac using Max for ipod use or would 448k MP3s be just as good?

Looking file sizes, the 448 files are only very slightly larger than 320kbps, while the flac files are about twice that. I'm guessing that answers my question does it? Although there is still the question of whether there is degradation in the conversion from flac to alac. Although that can't be worse than the compression to 320 or 448 can it?

Last question, I've always used the itunes alac encoder for lossless files. I think I read here ages ago that it was the best itunes option. Is that correct?

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Never sure where this stuff goes, its not exactly computer related specifically anyway here goes...

How close are 448kbps mp3s to lossless files?
When there isn't a CD available, would it be better to DL flac files and convert to alac using Max for ipod use or would 448k MP3s be just as good?

Looking file sizes, the 448 files are only very slightly larger than 320kbps, while the flac files are about twice that. I'm guessing that answers my question does it? Although there is still the question of whether there is degradation in the conversion from flac to alac. Although that can't be worse than the compression to 320 or 448 can it?

Last question, I've always used the itunes alac encoder for lossless files. I think I read here ages ago that it was the best itunes option. Is that correct?

MP3 cannot possibly be 448kbps....it maxes out at 320. 
There is no degradation from FLAC-->ALAC conversion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back