Question about ESW9A
Mar 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mielton

New Head-Fier
o2smile.gif
Hi.

I've been looking at the product for a while around the net, and decided to order one, but never decided from where.

I am trying to make everything as smooth as possible, so thought that this much of asking and knowing would be the best deal for me.

Fron the portable cans forum, I have asked about the question about these that are on Headroom, and recieved the answer that the ESW9A's from Headroom is ESW9.

From what I have found, ESW9's are the japanese made cans with japanese Hokkaido cherry tree. But according to the site, it is mentioned as ESW9A with African Padauk.

Please, someone school me. I want my ears to be pleasant, but also my mind pleasant for knowing the fact that I have bought the right product. I wouldnt mind it being either ESW9A or ESW9, but I do not want myself feeling wrong for recieving what was not expected.

THANK YOU
o2smile.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 11
I am also very interested in buying these, and have been researching for hours. I know headroom is respectable but they are selling these for around $268 whereas Adorama on Amazon and their own website is selling for $218. Do you guys think this is legit? I did see that adorama is listed as a dealer on audio technica's site, but I don't know how updated the list I saw was. I just want to be sure here, since this is a hefty investment for a college student.

Also, the wood from Adorama/amazon looks different than that from headroom (darker). I also hear that the "a" version fits an iphone better (I will be using with iphone). Can anybody verify/attest to this?

Owners/aimlink - I am a bass-lover, I like rap the most but also listen to pop/classical/mainstream music/etc. I have a fioe5, and will be using with my macbook pro 13 and iphone. I like these phones bc they are portable, good reviews for sound quality, and looks good. Do you guys think I am making the right decision to buy? I also like the fact that these supposedly won't disturb nearby people and has good isolation (true/false?)

amazon- Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones: Electronics
headroom - Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A - Portable Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Have you thought of an IEM? The only reason why I don't use an IEM instead is because I don't like anything in my ear for prolonged periods. Otherwise I'd have a hands down preference in terms of sound quality. I think the Westone 3's and IE8's are better in sound quality and isolation.

At $218, I'd think the ESW9A is a good buy. They are good all rounders and you should be happy with using them while on the go. They sound almost as good straight from my iPod as it does with my LOD and P-51 Mustang. The isolation is pretty good as well.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iaudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also very interested in buying these, and have been researching for hours. I know headroom is respectable but they are selling these for around $268 whereas Adorama on Amazon and their own website is selling for $218. Do you guys think this is legit? I did see that adorama is listed as a dealer on audio technica's site, but I don't know how updated the list I saw was. I just want to be sure here, since this is a hefty investment for a college student.

It's not always easy for HeadRoom to compete on price, but it blows the doors off most outfits in terms of customer service and reliability. The value of that has only increased to me the more time I spend in this hobby. 50 bucks isn't a small difference, but I think HR makes up for it on personal attention end. Of course, it's easy for me to play with other people's money
smile_phones.gif
, but it's always nice to support a site sponsor/smaller retailer when possible.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 11
why not call headroom and ask them if there are any differences??? I've called them quite often and found them very helpful. And I agree: spend your dollars on a supplier that supports us and this site. Plus their guarantees are iron-clad

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 11
thank you guys for the comments. I just got the Esw9 from Adorama. According to the google translate page
Google Translate
, mine is fake!?! (it looks exactly like the one on the right) Even though Adorama is supposed to be an authorized AT dealer? Do I trust the review page or Adorama? Should I go ahead and return the phones? I asked an Amazon reviewer about Adorama, and he said good things but I guess I should've went with headroom.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to add that Audio Technica claims the ESW9a is amongst the most heavily counterfeited headphones in the industry and, by their own estimate, 75%+ of this model bought outside of 'authorized dealers' (i.e., eBay etc) are fakes. I would give AT offices in Ohio a quick call to inquire about this issue with them.
frown.gif

I'll also mention that Monster Audio states Adorama are selling either counterfeit and/or 'grey market' Dr.Dre Beats and TurbinePRO headphones since (according to our Monster reps), they've never sold any products to them whatsoever.

....buyer beware!
ph34r.gif

Cheers,
jorge
HR Sales & Service Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back