question about earbud plugs
Aug 14, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

130hp

New Head-Fier
i have a sony D-E705 portable CD player and i have noticed that the plug from the earbuds to the remote is different than the stereo plug. the plug is much smaller and thinner than the standard stereo plug. im looking for some replacement earbuds but i can't seem the find this format anywhere. this is kind of weird because i have a sony MD player with a remote and the ear buds are the standard stereo plugs, not these weird tiny ones. what kind of ear buds are these? my guess is it was some technology that sony invented but didn't work out so they scrapped it. help?

Aug 14, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by 130hp
i have a sony D-E705 portable CD player and i have noticed that the plug from the earbuds to the remote is different than the stereo plug. the plug is much smaller and thinner than the standard stereo plug. im looking for some replacement earbuds but i can't seem the find this format anywhere. this is kind of weird because i have a sony MD player with a remote and the ear buds are the standard stereo plugs, not these weird tiny ones. what kind of ear buds are these? my guess is it was some technology that sony invented but didn't work out so they scrapped it. help?

Sony tried this plug on several different models awhile back, but it never caught on. I think the plug you are referring to is somewhat square, and smaller than a standard 1/8" stereo mini plug, right? Sony sells adapters through their parts division that allow you to use any standard headphones with the proprietary jack on those remotes.

Ok, I just did a bunch of searching on the Sony parts website http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/cgi.../showitems.cgi , and found a few things out. Sony offers about 5 or 6 different headphones with what they call their micro plug (not the same as a standard 3/32 sub mini plug), ranging in price from $34-70. What you are probably looking for though is the adapter which sells for $10, and is part number PC-MP1HG, just put that part number into the box on the web site I posted above, and the adapter will come up. They have online ordering, and stuff usually takes about a week to get to me.

-Keith

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 8
thx for the replies guys.

meithkiller, thank you for doing the research for me, i appreciate it. yep, looks like i will get one of those adapters for the microplug. i wonder why sony came up with this type of technology....were there suspose to be any advantages of the micro plug over the stereo miniplug?

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 8
if by some bizarre piece of bad luck, you come to order, and find that they are out of stock... the newer version of that part number is the PCMP1S... also available for $9.99

I have both versions (1 for each PCDP) and can see absoloutely no cosmetic difference between the two... maybe different grades of internal cabling or something?!

just my $0.02

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by 130hp
thx for the replies guys.

meithkiller, thank you for doing the research for me, i appreciate it. yep, looks like i will get one of those adapters for the microplug. i wonder why sony came up with this type of technology....were there suspose to be any advantages of the micro plug over the stereo miniplug?

I think Sony had (the stupid) strategy that their portable equipment should be used only with their accesories, hence the microplug and the infamous battery packs. Hopefully, they dropped this crap.

Aug 15, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8
looking at the design of the microplug, I guess that there could have been potential sonic advantages...

There are instead of the standard jack plug, with left, right and ground all next to each other... three rings of different widths that clip the plug to the socket... could've been for better seperation of the source maybe??

Even if that is the case, the adapter would defeat the advantage, and then you're back at the begining... ho-hum

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 8
thx for the replies!

i guess there there probably wasn't much of an advnatage since they scrapped the whole technology. i for one cannot hear the difference.

thx for the info guys, i appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back