Question about cable
Jul 17, 2005 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wanna know, does cable quality make a difference when transferring files ? (not for listening to music purpose)

For example, CDP to minidisc (RCA-mini) cable?

Do you think it will make a difference in the sound recorded, if I use proper cable or the cheap one?

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Just wanna know, does cable quality make a difference when transferring files ? (not for listening to music purpose)

For example, CDP to minidisc (RCA-mini) cable?

Do you think it will make a difference in the sound recorded, if I use proper cable or the cheap one?

your post seems to contridict itself, can you clarify or rephrase your question?

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 9
I think the easiest way to put it is this:

For recording from a CDP to an MD player, does cable quality make a noticeable difference?
(eg. the RCA-mini cable, or the optical-mini cable)

Anyway, I think the best way for me is to get an optical-mini cable, since my RCAs are a bit hard to take off from the CDP, whereas I got a spare optical out on my CDP that I'm not using it for anything.

The problem is, it's a bit hard to find an optical - mini cable in my place. The one that I know is from Sony one. (the optional accessory for their MD player)

Jul 17, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
The problem is, it's a bit hard to find an optical - mini cable in my place. The one that I know is from Sony one. (the optional accessory for their MD player)

You can buy mini adapters for regular optical cables.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Why good thread? My question is not even answered yet.
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 9
excellent question. i would say it does matter. if it effect how good the sound you hear, why would it be leave off the equation for recording as well?

goodluck with the midi->optical cable though.

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 9
The digital cable shouldn't matter. Bits are bits, and a digital copy should be the same either way. (The thing which is possibly at issue with digital cable is jitter, but jitter is only a problem at playback time, not at copy time; nothing in the system cares that much WHEN things arrive at copy time.) And optical mini adapters aren't hard to find and are cheap.

Analog cable should matter to the extent you believe analog cable matters--you probably don't want to open that can of worms.
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I think it depends on how he is recording. Going from a CD player to the digital recorder sounds like he is doing this in real-time via SPDIF in which case jitter would be a valid concern. For me, it would one of those things I wouldn't worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back