Question about cable from cd-rom to soundcard
May 28, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DevilDog

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what everyone uses for the cable from their cd/dvd-rom to their soundcard. If it's anything like mine, it's the cheapest cable made. I'm not a big believer in the differences between interconnects, but I would think that a cable running INSIDE the computer, where all of the components have to be making a lot of rf noise, would make a big difference. I was just wondering if anyone has a better cable for this.

Also, I don't see any discussions on the cd/dvd-rom hardware. I don't imagince everyone listens to ripped media only. Surely the hardware makes a difference, even if it's just in the ripping process.

May 28, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 8
You don't need to hook up this cable. It's a throwback to the days before 16-bit sound cards were common and you needed some way of listening to CDs anyway. Modern operating systems are usually configured by default to read the data off the CD digitally, so this analog cable sees no use. You can disconnect it if you want and your CDs will still play fine.

May 28, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
What Wodgy said - just check the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" box in your CD/DVD drive properties and everything will just go through your mobo/processor, no need of the audio cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 8
I've learned something here. I had plugged my cans into the back of the soundcard and set the card to play as 2 speakers. Then I plugged it into the front of the cd/dvd-rom and it drove them MUCH better, louder anyway. (Of course I had to select analog in the OS to do this)
So, Taylor, you're saying that it should sound better, quality wise, out of the soundcard because of a better DAC? I have not tried running it out of the soundcard to an amp. Would that improve it? I have a c-moy and an X-Can V2 to try this with.
Keep in mind, this is all experimental. I generally play redbook cds through my toshiba 3950-X-Can V2 setup. I just tried this last night and found the output on the front of the dvd intriguing.

BTW, thanks for the respnonses.

May 29, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I've learned something here. I had plugged my cans into the back of the soundcard and set the card to play as 2 speakers. Then I plugged it into the front of the cd/dvd-rom and it drove them MUCH better, louder anyway. (Of course I had to select analog in the OS to do this)
So, Taylor, you're saying that it should sound better, quality wise, out of the soundcard because of a better DAC? I have not tried running it out of the soundcard to an amp. Would that improve it? I have a c-moy and an X-Can V2 to try this with.
Keep in mind, this is all experimental. I generally play redbook cds through my toshiba 3950-X-Can V2 setup. I just tried this last night and found the output on the front of the dvd intriguing.

BTW, thanks for the respnonses.

Using Digital Audio Extration in windows would probably increase sound quality, but since I have my nec 3xp for redbook, I never bothered with either. That means you should do it and tell us your results.
With the standard 3-pin cd-rom cable, it goes:
digital from cd > cd rom dac > crap cable > sound cards adc > sound cards dac > headphones.
With DAE it would be digital from cd > motherboard > sound card dac > which should be a good deal better, as the 3 pin cable adds two more analog/digital conversions and the cd rom dac probably isn't very good to start off with.

May 29, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Those analog CDROM to soundcard cables add a lot of noise (picked up from inside the case) and sound awful. Even Win95 or Win98 can use DAE through programs designed to use it (like WinAMP or Foobar2k) so there's no reason to use one, period.

May 29, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
With the standard 3-pin cd-rom cable, it goes:
digital from cd > cd rom dac > crap cable > sound cards adc > sound cards dac > headphones.
With DAE it would be digital from cd > motherboard > sound card dac > which should be a good deal better, as the 3 pin cable adds two more analog/digital conversions and the cd rom dac probably isn't very good to start off with.

Okay, that makes perfect sense.
Coming straight out the front the sound lacked dynamics and the upper treble freqs just weren't there.
FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back